Calorie Consumption

Options
How is it that someone who weighs less than me should eat less calories than I do to lose weight. According to MFP calculator I am to eat 1460 calories a day and then of course it adds on more when I excercise. I would think I would need to eat less that 1460 to lose weight. I've lost 5 lbs in 4 weeks. Am I being impatient thinking I should be losing more. I always here that if you eat too little you won't lose weight either.

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    How is it that someone who weighs less than me should eat less calories than I do to lose weight. According to MFP calculator I am to eat 1460 calories a day and then of course it adds on more when I excercise. I would think I would need to eat less that 1460 to lose weight. I've lost 5 lbs in 4 weeks. Am I being impatient thinking I should be losing more. I always here that if you eat too little you won't lose weight either.

The amount of calories you need is dependent on your size and activity level. (MFP may not use activity level as it calculates in exercise calories, but as a general statement this is true). A larger person will generally need more calories than a smaller person.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I would google your BMR and your TDEE. If your calorie deficit is too big, your metabolism can slow. My opinion is that large deficits are ok for those of us who are obese. But just so you know, I started at 229 and I almost always average around 1600 calories, and I've lost almost 40 lbs! So 1400-something definitely doesn't seem too high to me. My calories were higher than 1600, average around 1800 for my first few weeks and I was still losing.
    good luck!
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I also assume that myfitnesspal is telling you to get 1460 NET calories, so that means if you exercise, MFP wants you to eat more.
  • Eswelker
    Options
    Hey girl, I'm with you! The MFP app wants me to eat a lot more calories than I am because of my size. I know the bigger you are, the more calories you need just for basic healthy function of all your organs so they aren't compromised. You may just need to play it by ear and tweak it until you find that balance where you start losing. That's what I'm doing now. I have to eat less than recommended to see some loss. there's alot of good comments on this post with some wise suggestions, give them a try!! Hang in there though, don't give up!!! You will find that sweet spot!!! :smile: