Serious Plateau

Options
I have been losing weight since 2/2011 and until the end of June, I had been doing a pound or two a week. Then I started working with a nutritionist. She cut the sodium (which is good for my BP and made a huge difference), and added 300 more calories to my diet of mostly fruit and bean protein. There are certainly more carbs in the mix. This means I have to eat all my exercise calories. I eat very little junk - pretty much all fruit, veggies, lean meat, fish and whole grains as well as weighing and logging everything!

Prior to the plateau, I only ate what MFP allotted and rarely ate my workout calories. I was exercising 3-4 60 minute sessions a week; two with a personal trainer. I had congestive heart failure in April due to a virus (not high cholesterol or blockage), but I started back to walking right after I got out of ICU. And worked up to 6 days a week for 20-30 minutes, which I am at now. Then I fractured my knee, so I had to work out on upper body stuff for 2 weeks back in August, and now I am riding a bike for 5-10 miles per day with some upper body stuff at the gym twice a week. It is real cardio with heart rates well over 120.

I am frustrated as I have only lost 2 pounds in 2 months. I am thinking I need a change here, but I am not sure what to change.

Friend me and take a look at my log.

Replies

• susanofscottsdale
    Options
    For me it is all about the carbs - fruits do not seem to be a good carb for me.

You were losing weight before. Have you considered returning to what was working and, if (as) you begin losing weight again, making the changes of fruits, beans and higher caloric intake one at a time? You might then be better able to identify what works for you and what does not.

Good luck & continue to keep us posted.
  • ronchap
    ronchap Posts: 60
    Options
    I rarely eat back excercise calories but I do eat more on workout days. I'm down to about a pound a month which is okay because I'm down to about the last ten. I just keep on with my plan because I know I'm eating healthy and excercising so it'll all balance out in the end
  • jacquie130
    jacquie130 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am a registered, licensed dietitian and have been working in clinical practice for the past 20 years. It's been my experience that you have to keep cutting back on calories slightly in order to continue losing weight. And, the closer you get to goal weight the slower it comes off even with less calories. You may have to keep the beans and other high fiber stuff and cut the calories some. Also, there are other ways to measure weight loss success. Such as - have you lost inches over the last few months?
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I am a registered, licensed dietitian and have been working in clinical practice for the past 20 years. It's been my experience that you have to keep cutting back on calories slightly in order to continue losing weight. And, the closer you get to goal weight the slower it comes off even with less calories. You may have to keep the beans and other high fiber stuff and cut the calories some. Also, there are other ways to measure weight loss success. Such as - have you lost inches over the last few months?

I think I should probably cut back on the calories. I have not lost inches either, which is why I am frustrated! Thanks for replying.
  • Kaytee233
    Kaytee233 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I've been going through the same thing. I've lost 5 pounds since joining MFP which i'm very happy about but I can't seem to lose any more....I've been stuck for a couple months now. It's SOOO frustrating!