I need a plan to lose 20 pounds!

Options
I am going on vacation in 7 weeks. I really really really want to lose some weight before then. I am about 155 now. I am 5'2". I'd be psyched to be 140 by my vacation - is that possible? What can I do to achieve this finally? Ultimately I would be happy at 135. But according to BMI I should be more like 125. I need some help with my diet. I find I cannot stomach alot of the food people eat on diets. I do like veggies and fruits though. Just not a big fan of alot of low fat/fat free dairy type foods (think cottage cheese and yogurt!)

last year i tried something similar. I did lose weight and definitely inches. But probably got stuck at 147 or so. When i did this last year I did go to the gym during my lunch breaks in the week. Normally doing about 40 minutes on the elliptical machine 4-5x a week.

For breakfast I often stick to a Nature Valley granola bar. I am not a big breakfast person and I cannot cook things in the morning. I ate a bag of salad for lunch and usually some plain canned tuna fish. Dinner is usually some kind of meat (chicken, pork, white fish or salmon) with steamed veggies. I try to steer clear of the carbs that I cook for my kids.

I have a sweet tooth. I can try to avoid sweets, but would it be ok to fill up on fruit between lunch and dinner? What else can I have? Do I need to quit my morning granola bar for something less carby?

I hurt my achilles tendon back in May, so I stopped going to the gym. I am trying to start back up again. I can do the elliptical, but running/walking irritates my foot. I could try to add in my 30 Day Shred video a few nights a week. I could do a Wii Just Dance session with a few songs each night if I need extra exercise. I also have some Tae Bo dvds.

I have a hard time exercising at home just because I have 2 kids (6&3) and my nights are packed doing stuff for them.

I try to drink more water. I usually have my daily diet coke in the morning, and then at lunch time start drinking water at the gym and after lunch.

I really need some motivation on how to get this weight off! I am sick of being chubby. I know I'd be so much happier each day if I could wake up and be happier with myself and not disappointed when I see myself in the mirror. And 20 pounds doesnt seem like alot to have to lose when you see other people losing 50, 60, 70, + pounds. I really want to do this!!!

Replies

• NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    Well I honestly think 7 weeks is a really short amount of time! It sounds like with your schedule you would be able to exercise 30-60 minutes per day but not much more. I think a realistic goal would be to lose 5-10 lbs in 7 weeks. but you can always have bigger goals for further down the line :)

I don't "diet" I just count my calories. I don't eat diet foods. ;) I do TRY to eat healthy and TRY to eat more fruits and veggies. I also have 2 little ones and I exercise at home after they go to bed. for about 45-60 minutes.

I lose an average of 1.2 lbs per week. And my start weight is much higher. being at a lower weight can make it harder to lose.

good luck!
  • khallock78
    khallock78 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Well I guess I thought I could lose like 10-15 pounds in 7 weeks. since you always hear its like 2 pounds/week. I guess thats for people with more to lose?

At this point I would take anything. I'd be happy with 10 pounds of weight loss. Happier with 14!!!

I guess I will try just cutting down my portions and exercising more.
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Two pounds a week is at the high end of what most people consider healthy weight loss. Most people do not lose that much per week.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I am going on vacation in 7 weeks. I really really really want to lose some weight before then. I am about 155 now. I am 5'2". I'd be psyched to be 140 by my vacation - is that possible? What can I do to achieve this finally? Ultimately I would be happy at 135. But according to BMI I should be more like 125. I need some help with my diet. I find I cannot stomach alot of the food people eat on diets. I do like veggies and fruits though. Just not a big fan of alot of low fat/fat free dairy type foods (think cottage cheese and yogurt!)

last year i tried something similar. I did lose weight and definitely inches. But probably got stuck at 147 or so. When i did this last year I did go to the gym during my lunch breaks in the week. Normally doing about 40 minutes on the elliptical machine 4-5x a week.

For breakfast I often stick to a Nature Valley granola bar. I am not a big breakfast person and I cannot cook things in the morning. I ate a bag of salad for lunch and usually some plain canned tuna fish. Dinner is usually some kind of meat (chicken, pork, white fish or salmon) with steamed veggies. I try to steer clear of the carbs that I cook for my kids.

I have a sweet tooth. I can try to avoid sweets, but would it be ok to fill up on fruit between lunch and dinner? What else can I have? Do I need to quit my morning granola bar for something less carby?

I hurt my achilles tendon back in May, so I stopped going to the gym. I am trying to start back up again. I can do the elliptical, but running/walking irritates my foot. I could try to add in my 30 Day Shred video a few nights a week. I could do a Wii Just Dance session with a few songs each night if I need extra exercise. I also have some Tae Bo dvds.

I have a hard time exercising at home just because I have 2 kids (6&3) and my nights are packed doing stuff for them.

I try to drink more water. I usually have my daily diet coke in the morning, and then at lunch time start drinking water at the gym and after lunch.

I really need some motivation on how to get this weight off! I am sick of being chubby. I know I'd be so much happier each day if I could wake up and be happier with myself and not disappointed when I see myself in the mirror. And 20 pounds doesnt seem like alot to have to lose when you see other people losing 50, 60, 70, + pounds. I really want to do this!!!

eat less & exercise more...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    oops
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    welcome aboard. while some might have fewer pounds to lose, I suspect many folks (me included) wish we got on the healthy journey when we only had 20 pounds to lose. so kudos for you for making the decision to do something about that extra 20 pounds before it becomes something more.

it is possible to lose 15 pounds in 7 weeks, but don't lose motivation if you don't lose that much in a relatively short period of time. There are 2 ways I am going to suggest that will have you come as closest to your goal as possible.

I. Cut out the crap and eat healthy

I don't follow a particular diet as I'm focusing on simply eating healthier. I don't really eat stuff that's packaged as low fat or fat free, so I won't be recommending any of that. actually, I really don't eat too much processed/boxed foods at all. I don't do low carb or low fat, but I do limit my grains/pastas/processed sugars/flour and usually don't have any of that stuff most days. I try to focus on eating fruits with a low glycemic index value, veggies, lean proteins and healthy dietary fat. My food diary is public and you are welcome to take a look at it (please ignore the last 2 Saturdays as they were not the norm for me for various reasons).

MFP will determine your basal metabolic rate (the number of calories you burn without doing much of anything, estimated). then you will enter that you want to lose 2 pounds per week (2x7=14 pounds lost in 7 weeks). My guess is that MFP will suggest that you eat 1,200 calories per day. Stay around that number, focus on healthy/natural foods and not processed foods, and you should lose weight.

II. A natural cleanse.

I did a 4 week natural cleanse and lost 18 pounds. I have kept all of the weight off, and lost more, by getting back on the healthy eating I describe above. If you're interested in it, send me a message and I will send you more details, but essentially, I did the following:

1. for the first 2 weeks, eat only veggies. eat as many veggies as you want as many times in the day as you want. you should allow yourself to feel hungry, but you can eat only veggies. you can eat veggies anyway you like (and I recommend variety)...raw, steamed, stir fry (with some reduced sodium soy sauce and either hoisin sauce or reduced sodium stir fry sauce). you can and should eat some EVOO every day (preferably on your salads). no other dressing is permitted.

2. some things you might consider veggies either are not veggies or are not permitted during the cleanse. these items include: corn (grain), beans (legumes), potatoes (startch...and this includes sweet potatoes).

3. you can drink only water and you should drink about 3 quarts of water a day.

4. you can also have some sugar free jello....but as the guy who told me about the cleanse said, your body will be craving nutrients and jello has none...so don't waste a lot of tummy space on jello. I decided to skip the jello.

5. during the second two weeks, you can also have 8 ounces of skinless, grilled chicken breast a day....along with the veggies and water.

6. you should exercise during the cleanse.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    It definitely is possible to lose 2 lbs per week, but among my "friends" who are able to lose at that rate, they all exercise 90 or more minutes per day. Or have really large deficits through restricting calories, but since you're at a relatively low weight, it will be hard to get that big of a calorie deficit. :)
  • WillandAway
    WillandAway Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    We are pretty much the same size, I am 5'1.25 (can't forget that quarter it is very important)! I started my weight lost journey on September 6th at 154.6 pounds 38.1%. I will give you hope it is possible to lose two pounds b/c I already have since I joined my MFP on Oct 6th. Here is the deal I started working out with a trainer on Sept. 6th. The first week I lost 5 pounds then the following weeks my weight just stood still. My trainer worked with me on changing up my calorie in take, but it didn't seem to work. So I got frustrated and started looking on-line for solutions. I ended up joining MFP and the weight started coming off again. From that experience I learned I personally needed to eat a more balanced diet. My trainer had me on a very high protein diet. When I joined MFP I weighed 149.6/35.5, today I am at 147.4/35.7. So this is proof it is possible to lose two pounds a week!

You have to realize everyone's body is different so you may need to make changes at times, but if you are just starting to work out and dieting the weight will atleast come off easier at first. There are always a positive sides, right?

Count Count Count your Calories!!! Do a 1,200 calorie diet! Make sure you measure everything do just assume! You don't want to be sabotaging yourself!

Exercise everyday to get the calories burnt off. Do more challenging programs verses light aerobics. I work out with a trainer for 40 minutes a day and when I am not schedule to go to my trainer I do more challenging DVDs like, J Michael's or Shape Bikini Body Boot Camp is good. I also walk my dogs two miles everyday.

Most importantly don't add calories back in after working out! If you do, it defeats the whole point of working workout in the first place!

One other thing I do is take psyllium husk it is a fiber supplement. It is good if you are on a lower carb diet to literally to get crap out of your body faster. But that is a personal preference.

Well I hope you can pull off your weight loss goal! I am routing for you! Do it for all us girls out there!

Best Wishes!!!!!!
  • janet5432
    janet5432 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    This is an idea for a easy breakfast.

6 eggs Mushrooms, peppers, tomotatos etc..
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
    Sauté onions, mushrooms and garlic in olive oil until soft. Set aside. Beat eggs, and mix well. Add onion mixture, sun dried tomatoes, and salt & pepper (to taste). Mix well. Put in greased mini-muffin pans (I use olive oil cooking spray). Cook till eggs are done. I just keep close eye on the first time I cook them and then use that time.

They pop out super easy. Eat your meal and the rest can go in a baggie to microwave later. I divide the 6 eggs by how many they make and usually eat 1-2 eggs worth. I think it made 24 last time I made them.
  • janet5432
    janet5432 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Some more ideas.
    My other breakfast options are 35 cal bread multi grain toasted with peanut butter. (No time pop toast well getting ready, eat on run)

Instant maple & brown sugar oatmeal with water only. (1.30 seconds to cook and I usually do this at work before I clock in)

Two eggs cooked with frozen veggies microwaved in a tad bit of olive oil or water. (I get eggs going, then put together the veggies and microwave for 3 min. Go back to eggs. If I am adding toast then I pop down at about a 1 min left for veggies. I use peanut butter or no sugar jelly for the toast). Total 5-7 min to cook. If you use egg substitute on the old weightwatchers with one slice of bread and no sugar jam it is 4 points).

Also the Fiber One 80 tastes good. Use skim milk and its not bad. You can always add strawberries, blueberries, bananas etc..