MFP vs Spark People

Options

Replies

• dianemass
    dianemass Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have done Weight Watchers, DWLZ, Sparkpeople and this site is the best ! It is easy andpeople here are wonderful !
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I like MFP a lot better. The site is nicer and easier to use. I also like the people here better as the over the top rainbows, sunshine and unicorns of the Uber positive without being grounded in the real world didn't rub me the right way.

People here tend to tell it like it is and there are lot more people that know what they're talking about here.
    What you are saying is we rub you right.
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I do MFP the most and Spark People just for support and tips. They have alot of good articles and food ideas.
    this
  • jesstiger81
    jesstiger81 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I much prefer MFP. Tracking food with SP was so cumbersome and difficult for me, therefore I would cheat often by not recording something, or recording it incorrectly. I did not see results. One of my favorite things about MFP is the app. You can scan the barcode of pretty much ANY food item (even grocery store brands) and it will tell you the accurate calories. So, it takes much less time to journal, and I love that. Success!
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Spark is a good place for finding recipies but the calorie counting and message boards are way more user friendly here.
  • ahinescapron
    ahinescapron Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I switched back to Sparkpeople for my tracking, because I like the way they spread your calories evenly over the week. I just do better if I eat the same amount each day. I like the message boards here much better, but I like the articles and exercise demos on spark. It really is just a matter of preference.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I switched back to Sparkpeople for my tracking, because I like the way they spread your calories evenly over the week. I just do better if I eat the same amount each day. I like the message boards here much better, but I like the articles and exercise demos on spark. It really is just a matter of preference.

You can do that here by setting your activity level higher and not logging your exercise. That is the way most professionals give you a caloric intake as well.
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

But you could do like I do and just eat similar amounts every day. The math all works out the same way in the end. Weekly average is the important metric in my mind.

I like the name Spark People. So many thoughts associated with name like that.
  • tobybear
    tobybear Posts: 109
    Options
    The reason I like MFP is because when you put in your activities it adjusts your calorie count. Sparkpeople doesn't do that.
  • akjstyles
    akjstyles Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I started out using sparkpeople 3 years ago, lost a lot of weight at a healthy rate and made some great support connections. Then I stopped using it, fell off the wagon and gained back all the weight. This time around I found the MFP app for my phone and loved the ease of tracking. I find MFP to be a whole lot more user friendly. I did go back to sp as well because of the support connections that I have there. I don't log my food or exercise there though. I think both sites have their pros so that is why I use both, I do spend more time on this site though, as I said, way more user friendly.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Never heard of spark people, I used to use Calorie Count, but didn't find people as friendly or supportive on there. I like MFP community better.
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Just checked it out. Got a headache from evrything going on in the site. MFP rocks it!
  • april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    why would you? MFP is time-sucking-of-my-life enough.

SP is a lot more "busy" than MFP in my opinion. i need straight-forward.
  • april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Just checked it out. Got a headache from evrything going on in the site. MFP rocks it!

EXACTLY!!
  • Rain_Howard
    Options
    There are other option out there as well. Google is your friend if you want to find and try them. What I did was subscribe to the rss feeds of other sights so I still get the tips, recipes and what not. But I find MPF much less cluttered. They all do the same thing in different ways. Some are free, some are not. Find the one that works the best for you and that you are most likely to use. It's all about you this time. What you like, what you need to be successful and most importantly, what you will use.
  • TrimThinTonedTight
    Options
    I was only on SparkTeens for about a year and I just found it really hard to keep up with things because it was a very slow, cluttered, and over-complicated site.

MFP is very simple and the people here are less 'cliquey'. The only thing about ST that I liked was the pie chart of where your calories came from. (Both meals and specific food). It was part of you end of day analysis which I though was pretty decent. But I am never going to go back. I like it here! :smile:
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I was using SparkPeople before. I like it for the articles and SparkRecipes.com and the exercise videos and such like that.

But it's much easier here to log food and exercise and I find that it's easier to interact with people here (because of the news feed and such) and I get much more support here.
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    i also have a spark people account though i don't really use it these days. i agree that mfp is more user friendly but i also liked spark people for the recipes and the articles they send out on a daily basis.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I track my food intake on Spark People. I started tracking long ago with MFP then I couldn't. It's my fault though. My old cel phone, a LG Ally, I rooted it because of limited physical memory so I could remove all the bloatware on it. When I did that the MFP app stopped working. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling but still did not work. I stumbled across Spark People and it's food tracker app works fine with my now hacked phone. I no longer have the LG Ally I now have a Droid 3 but I just been lazy about switching back to MFP to track. :tongue: I dabble in the forums there occasionally but I am much more active here on MFP.
  • Mrs_Moe
    Mrs_Moe Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I do both but spend the bulk of my time here (About 80:20). MFP is far superior in tracking food and exercise and much easier to use. Spark people has an easily searchable recipe database and exercise demos that are great. My only complaint about MFP is its too difficult to find recipes.