Chicks that lift weights

Options
2»

Replies

• stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Question for the lifters...do you build in breaks to your weight lifting routine? I've heard that I should take a full week off from exercise every 10-12 weeks. Do any of you take breaks?
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Jeez aren't you ladies worried about getting bulky? Or are you doing very high reps for toning?

Ok I'm totally trolling.

On a serious note, good to see ladies hitting the iron like you're supposed to!
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    Question for the lifters...do you build in breaks to your weight lifting routine? I've heard that I should take a full week off from exercise every 10-12 weeks. Do any of you take breaks?

If you're progressively overloading, which it sounds like you are based on previous posts. I would absolutely deload every 8 to 12 weeks.

Recommendation that I read over at bodybuilding.com was to deload at maximum of 50% workload, as low as 0. So in other words, take a full week off OR take a week at half volume OR take a week at half intensity (full volume, 50% load).

At any rate, give the CNS and the body a break from overload.

I'm currently on a deload now, and not lifting SUCKS, but it's very beneficial long term.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

Yes. Every 9 weeks, I do a non-lift week just to allow my body some down time.

My schedule is as follows:

Monday: 60 minutes cardio
    Tuesday: legs (inner + outer adductors + hams + quads + calves)
    Wednesday: 60 minutes cardio
    Thursday: chest, abs, upper back + 30 mins cardio (usually Thursday is my boxing day)
    Friday: Arms + glutes
    Saturday: circuit training (30-60 minutes depending)
    Sunday: rest day

When I first started, I couldn't lift more than 2 days per week, but I slowly built it up. Rest days are really important.

To the OP: As for non-scale results, my body fat percentage has gone from 47% to 28%, which makes me feel completely badass and awesome.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    LOL'ing at the getting bulky & toning. I swear I cringe every time I see those words in posts.
    If you're progressively overloading, which it sounds like you are based on previous posts. I would absolutely deload every 8 to 12 weeks.

Recommendation that I read over at bodybuilding.com was to deload at maximum of 50% workload, as low as 0. So in other words, take a full week off OR take a week at half volume OR take a week at half intensity (full volume, 50% load).

At any rate, give the CNS and the body a break from overload.

I'm currently on a deload now, and not lifting SUCKS, but it's very beneficial long term.
    Yep on the progressive overload & I'm coming up on 10 weeks since my last break, but I've got a week-long vacay scheduled at 15 weeks so I'll prob wait until then.

So to both of you, if you skip the lifting altogether, do you still do any cardio? I've heard that I should take a break from running too to allow the CNS to recover. Appreciate the responses!

And Elizabeth, you ARE badass. :)
  • Sidesteal
    Options

Yep on the progressive overload & I'm coming up on 10 weeks since my last break, but I've got a week-long vacay scheduled at 15 weeks so I'll prob wait until then.
    Very good move on the above. I always try to schedule deloads around events/vacations/circumstances that already mandate my gym absence for a few days. Miss fewer workouts that way :)
    So to both of you, if you skip the lifting altogether, do you still do any cardio? I've heard that I should take a break from running too to allow the CNS to recover. Appreciate the responses!

I don't do cardio because I don't enjoy it. My understanding/what I've read is that cardio is fine on deloads.

She can blow bubbles with Beef Jerky.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    LOL'ing at the getting bulky & toning. I swear I cringe every time I see those words in posts.

First of all, I :heart: you and am happy to meet some other chicks who are into lifting and getting stronger :smile:

Secondly, I do a lot of cardio, but not intense. I have a heart conditon that sometimes makes it uncomfortable to get my HR up too high. Cardio helps me burn more fat and calories. I'm still losing weight so cardio is important as well.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options

She can blow bubbles with Beef Jerky.

That's Chuck Norris. I kicked his *kitten* last week. BOOYAH!