Leg/ upper body work outs!

Options
Hi I am new back to the scene of working out, I know a lot of cardio is good, but after cardio how do you rotate the combination of upper body lifting/work out vs the lower body?

Replies

• Kany
    Kany Posts: 336
    Options
    I do it on alternate days. Monday and Wednesday upper body, Tuesday and Thursday lower body. Abs every day. I don't lift too heavy so i don't need that long to recover from weights.
  • katemateg
    katemateg Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I would just keep mixing it up, both throughout the workout itself, then every time you work out. Do 10 mins cardio to warm up (10 mins on the rower for example), then do an upper body exercises, then do a few more mins cardio (skipping/running/bike), then do a few mins lower leg exercises with weights or squats or lunges, then back to cardio. And keep doing that. Interval training works the body really well without having to spend hours in the gym. Just put everything in to it. No reading a magazine or watching tv. Just work your *kitten* off and enjoy it.
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I actually do upper and lower body on the same day, but I only lift 2 - 3 times a week.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,641 Member
    Options
    Hi I am new back to the scene of working out, I know a lot of cardio is good, but after cardio how do you rotate the combination of upper body lifting/work out vs the lower body?
    You can train them specific days,but do it before doing cardio so that you can have the energy needed to have a more efficient workout.
  • CoachNYLA
    CoachNYLA Posts: 129
    Options
    There are many ways you can mix it up:

i.e.
    alternate 1 day upper 1 day lower OR full body every other day.

I actually don't do my hams and quads (legs) on the same day because they are the bigger muscle groups and it pulls mega energy for just one workout.

Here is an example of a combo I have done:

Day 1 (Chest, Hamstrings & Glutes, Abs)
    Day 2 (Cardio Intervals) 30 min.
    Day 3 (Shoulders, Biceps, Triceps, Abs)
    Day 4 (Cardio Intervals) 30 min.
    Day 5 (Back, Quads, Cavles, Abs)
    Day 6 (40 minute Elliptical steady pace)

The one thing I recommend to get the most out of your sessions is to also be sure to execute cardio after weight training.

This maximizes fat loss as your glycogen stores are sure to be lowered after your weight training allowing your body to pull from the fat cell for energy, as long as you are aerobic (60-75% in your target heart range).

Peace,
  • jenellie
    jenellie Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    thank you to all the responses!I really appreciate it! :)