what exercise burns the most calories treadmill or elliptcal

What is the most calorie burning, treadmill or elliptical ..

Replies

• iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Depends what you are doing on the treadmill.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    ...and it depends on your level of intensity.
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 948 Member
    What should I do on the treadmill to burn the most calories.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Running on the street sideways in some kind of suspended animation must burn more than both combined.
  • thinby40
    thinby40 Posts: 113
    I tend to burn more calories on the elliptical!
  • corrieville
    corrieville Posts: 113 Member
    For me I find I burn more calories on the elliptical. I can not run hard enough on a treadmill to burn a huge amount.
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    I burn a lot of calories running on treadmill or walking at a 12 incline :)
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Running on an incline on a treadmill with burn burn burn. You can also do interval training (switching from fast to slow in regular timed cycles).
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,909 Member
    What should I do on the treadmill to burn the most calories.
    Incline 15%, walk/jog WITHOUT holding on to the hand rails. Not many people can do this.
  • janet5432
    janet5432 Posts: 39 Member
    My husband use the elliptcal and burns more on that. I can't seem to get a good rhytm so I use the treadmill. I just started doing the weightloss program on the treadmill and it took my incline up to 10 and then gradually decreased. That program added an extra 70-80 calories for same time. I normally do 140-150 for 40 min on treadmill.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Depends on your heart rate.

Use a HRM or this: http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    At first, I preferred my experience on the elliptical once I tried it. If you have one that adds resistance/incline... you can burn a lot.

However if you add resistance/incline to the treadmill, you can as well. I would try 30 mins of both to see which one you like better when you put out your maximal effort.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    I burn a lot of calories running on treadmill or walking at a 12 incline :)

This for me as well. Tho in the end it all depends on your intensity. You get out of it what you put in.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    I find running with an slight incline on a treadmill burns the most, but a light jog on a flat incline I burn less than the elliptical.

Essentially the best machine for calories burned is the one you can do at a higher intensity for longer. This may be different for everyone. That being said, running is a natural moment of the body and will improve athleticism whereas the elliptical is an unnatural movement and will not, other than better endurance, improve athletic performance.

so if you want to be fit and improve athleticism go with the treadmill, if you just want to lose weight either machine is great.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Depends on how hard your working on either equipment. The treadmill has more impact with body weight vs elliptical
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 948 Member
    What is your speed when you are at 12the incline.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    What is your speed when you are at 12the incline.

As fast as you can. Everybody is different.
  • Most people tend to lose more on the elliptical...

Just from what I see at the gym even if they go the right incline and speed on the treadmill, after one go at it they won't go back to it! Not saying you won't of course, just what I see.... its a shame :(
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    for me always the elliptca.

but some of that is i am afraid to incline the treadmill or go fast, I have this big phobia of treadmills and fallign off them.

had a totaly anxiety attack at my stress test when she inclined it then told me to drop my one arm
  • Southernsister
    Southernsister Posts: 198 Member
    If you set the treadmill on incline..you ill burn alot fast and have legs of steal. My son is great at follovving all the vvorkouts and trainers. Just 20 min on incline does more than running and not as hard on the knees. Gotta say the Elliptical vvorks out upper and lovver body.