13 diet food that make you fat!

Options

Replies

• GouchisGirl
    GouchisGirl Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Funny, I eat a lot of greek jogurt and keep losing weight.

From the article:

Culprit: Fage Total Plain Classic Greek Yogurt has 23 g of fat (18 g saturated) and 300 calories in 1 cup. That's not to say there aren't good reasons to buy this ultrathick and creamy yogurt. It's a great source of calcium (you'll get 25% of your daily value in a 1-cup serving) and protein (15 g), plus it has those good-for-your-gut live active cultures. But the whole-milk variety has 5 times the fat content of the 2% fat version and twice the calories (300, versus 150 in the 2% product).

Smarter choice: Fage Total 0% Plain Greek Yogurt is made with fat-free milk so it still provides all the calcium and cultures, and it even has a power-packed 20 g of protein, all with no fat and just 120 calories.

So, it's not to avoid Greek yogurt completely. Just watch that you're not eating too much. I think what we do here on MFP by tracking what we eat eliminates this concern. You definitely have to read the articles all the way through, to see what they're really saying.

Yahoo, especially, likes to create these dramatic article titles to get readership. The content of the article is usually a lot less shocking.

You are right! :) Voskos Greek Yogurt has 0 milk fat and only a few grams in the granola and is only 150 calories if I remember right.... And it is SOOOOOOOOO good. :) Its all about reading labels. Cottage cheese is good in moderation to, just get the low fat. :)
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Um, why is anyone listening to what Yahoo has to say?

I read it on the internets, it must be true.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Um, why is anyone listening to what Yahoo has to say?

If the Yahoo's say it, it must be true. Dur.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Have to read
    But the whole-milk variety has 5 times the fat content of the 2% fat version and twice the calories (300, versus 150 in the 2% product).

All of us here are smart enough NOT to buy the whole milk versions.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I don't care, what I eat, just, watch the calories, never the fat, carbs etc......as long as I eat my 1200 cal, I keep losing weight.

This.

We tend to overcomplicate things too much. For the benefit of pure weight loss, its all about the calories :) Works like a charm for me.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I don't care, what I eat, just, watch the calories, never the fat, carbs etc......as long as I eat my 1200 cal, I keep losing weight.

This.

We tend to overcomplicate things too much. For the benefit of pure weight loss, its all about the calories :) Works like a charm for me.

True, but it shouldn't be about weight loss alone, it should be about overall health and creating healthy eating and exercise habits.
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Why would they list "movie popcorn" as a diet food?

Yeah it's terrible that they list movie popcorn as a diet food, but I will say that for as much of it as I eat, it's not a lot of calories. I generally have a splurge day a month where I go see a movie and get popcorn and full sugar soda. It's not a healthy day but it generally doesn't go over maintenance calories either.
  • Healthy_Hannah483
    Healthy_Hannah483 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I think that's more about certain BRANDS because not all fat-free salad dressings are full of sugar & not all cottage cheese is full of sodium. And not all Greek yogurt has tons of calories and fat, you know?
  • Healthy_Hannah483
    Healthy_Hannah483 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Why would they list "movie popcorn" as a diet food?

I think its probably because popcorn (made at home!) doesn't have a lot of calories and is actually good for you, but when you load it with butter and salt as they do in the movie theaters, it definitely becomes UNHEALTHY.
  • CLA2801
    CLA2801 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Why don't you read first what it has to say about Greek yogurt - it lists the fat content in full fat Greek yogurt. An alternative is always 0% fat greek yogurt. Or you could always just work it into your daily goals.

This article is rather misleading - it lists movie theatre popcorn and processed foods such as frozen dinners and sausages as supposed "healthy" foods. Clearly someone is being paid to write articles with buzz words without doing even an inch of research... And that's my 2 cents.

I agree with you. People are panicking over absolutely nothing.
  • may5220
    may5220 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I am guilty of eating the movie popcorn. Tastes so good, know that I see the damage, I will bring my own to the movies.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Non-fat cottage cheese isn't fattening. It's sodium content might make you retain a little bit of water, but that is different from being fat. Non-fat cottage cheese is a terrific source of protein.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the article too carefully but I assume it's targeted to those not as informed as all of us HERE. People read popcorn as okay, not knowing that moive popcorn is evil.

People read that greek yorgurt is fine, not knowing the full fat one isn't that great. But dang those taste good
  • cheri0627
    cheri0627 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Even full fat Greek yogurt is just fine as long as you eat in moderation. I'll eat one of those for a snack, and I'm happy. It's plenty of calories, fat, protein and carbs to keep me satisfied. Fat is good for you, in moderation.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    5vuq90.gif
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Yahoo lies. Half the nutriotional information they quote isn't even correct.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Funny, I eat a lot of greek jogurt and keep losing weight.

Seriously. And I eat cottage cheese.

Anything will make you fat if you eat enough of it.
    All about moderation.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with a lot of the article. Anything lowfat, nonfat, sugar free ect are full of other garbage to make them that way. You are better of eating in moderation.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options

This.

True, but it shouldn't be about weight loss alone, it should be about overall health and creating healthy eating and exercise habits.

I can't do "healthy" eating. I'll settle for "healthier". That way it's sustainable :)
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with a lot of the article. Anything lowfat, nonfat, sugar free ect are full of other garbage to make them that way. You are better of eating in moderation.

You're right, but where did the article say that? Did you even read it?? It's not even an article - it's a slide show of garbage. It's saying the exact opposite actually. It's equating fat with making people fat, which we all know is bogus.