***Kelloggs VECTOR Cereal? GOOD? Or NOT? Healthy?

Options
I want to get to the bottom of the debate over Kellogg's Vector Cereal and whether or not it is good for you.

I didn't eat it before because of the amount of carbs in it. Even though Kellogg's boasts about the "54 grams" of carbs right on the front of the box. Of course, as many others trying to lose weight, I fear carbs.
However, I read yesterday that it is very good to have a high carb (good carbs of course) breakfast to start your day well. It was a segment on the Dr. Oz Show. That would explain why the carbs in this cereal are boasted about on the front.
As you know, most cereal contains only between 20-30 grams of carbs.

So, hopefully someone knows the scoop and can help me out on this one. :)
I want to start eating a healthy and easy breakfast because it is one meal I always skip. I want energy for my day and for my afternoon workout.

The nutritional info on the label is:

- 215 Calories
- 5.5 GRAMS of Protein
- 2.8 GRAMS of Fat
* Polyunsaturates 1.6g
* Linoleic Acid 1.4g
* Linolenic Acid 0.2g
* Monounsaturates 0.7g
* Saturates 0.5g
- 44 GRAMS of Carbs
- 11 GRAMS of Sugar
- 30g GRAMS of Starch
- 2.7 GRAMS of Dietary Fiber

It also contains:

Potassium 140mg
Vitamin A 14%
Vitamin D 5%
Vitamin E 38%
Vitamin C 30%
Vitamin B1 28%
Vitamin B2 20%
Niacin 29%
Vitamin B6 27%
Folacin 38%
Pantothenate 18%
Calcium 2%
Phosphorus 10%
Magnesium 14%
Iron 28%
Zinc 47%
Iodine 25%
Biotin 100%
Copper 25%
Manganese 50%

The first six ingredients are (just in case the info is useful):

RICE, WHOLE WHEAT, SUGAR/GLUCOSE-FRUCTOSE, SOY PROTEIN, ROLLED OATS and SOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE.
THANKS EVERYONE!!!! :D

Replies

• eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Sugar is the 3rd ingredient, which means this cereal isn't as healthy as it claims. However, it's a hell of a lot better than 90% of the breakfast cereals out there!
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    considering the amount of calories and protein in this, I think I'd rather have a chewy chocolate or peanutbutter protein bar.
  • lecrosel
    Options
    QFT "Sugar is the 3rd ingredient, which means this cereal isn't as healthy as it claims. However, it's a hell of a lot better than 90% of the breakfast cereals out there!"

Well said. Thank you.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Bacon, eggs, and steak is how I start and usually end my day, because I'm rarely hungry after a big fatty, protein filled breakfast for the rest of the day.

Screw grains.
  • imarlett
    imarlett Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Anything processed is bad for you. If it comes in a box, don't bother. Stick to protein, fruits and veggies.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    It is good if it helps you meet your macro goal for the day, tastes good, fills you up, keeps you going and meets any philosophical values you apply to your food.

Otherwise, chose something else.