Sushi Lovers, I need your advice!

Options
_Ben
_Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
Alrighty guys,

So just found a sushi place on campus that I am in love with. They have really really good deals, and taste great. Today I got (6 pieces of each) a Shrimp Tempura Roll, a cucumber roll, and a California roll for just under $10. This is great, because I only eat about 1/2, which is about 400 calories, Im full, and have leftovers for the next day. I was doing some reading online, and they recommended to make your sushi experience healthier, get sashimi instead, or at least try to fill up on sashimi. So what Im trying to do is come up with a meal for tomorrow to order of the sashimi. Im looking for it to be about $10, and Id like to be happy and full. Also note, I love pretty much anything at sushi resteraunts. Ill more than likely put a bit of eel sauce on the Sashimi so its not super dry. Here is the menu for the restaurant : http://wasabidetroit.com/pdf/wasabi_sushi_menu.pdf

Any suggestions be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I think as long as you stay away from the fried stuff, you'll be OK. btw, Tempura means fried.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    When I go to a Japanese restaurant, I always order sashimi, miso soup, seaweed salad, and sometimes edemame. It's always much more than $10 though...so good luck...
  • KnottyJen
    KnottyJen Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmmmmmm....sushi....
  • juleseybaby
    juleseybaby Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I would go for the tuna, yellowtail, and salmon. I very much doubt there will be an issue with it being dry - even without sauce - but go for it!

Also - if you are brave and if they have a 'mixed' plate - you could get a sample of 5-6 different kinds.
  • leynak
    leynak Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I don't have anything to add other than- now I *really* want some sushi....mmm :smile:
  • MarandaPanda86
    Options
    First of all: WTF I'M SO JEALOUSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay........ Second of all: Sashimi is good calorie-wise, but it kind of takes a lot to get full off of tiny pieces of raw fish. Plus all that mercury... But if it can fill you up, just tell the chef to slice you up whatever is the special of the day. I love wasabi on my sashimi with a little dip of soy sauce. Or pretty much any other sushi concoction people can think of. You can also get hand rolls, which have very little rice, therefore fewer calories. Oh, and I looooove kanisu rolls. No rice, just thin cucumber slices with crab, roe, carrots and whatever else they put in it, plus rice vinegar on top. So delicious. And summer rolls! With thin rice paper instead of rice...

omg I want sushi now :'[
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I haven't looked at the menu yet but if your sashimi needs eel sauce because it's DRY you are going to the wrong place. Sashimi should be moist, not dry and not slimey. If it is either of those things run for the hills!

My favorite Sashimi's are Yellowtale and salmon, but I'll take a look at the menu and get back to you....oh and starting with Edemame is a good way to fill up a little more too
  • kitkat1781
    Options
    I've heard similar advice about sushi v. sashimi as well. I'd recommend still getting at least one roll though, because without the fillers, you'll still be hungry if you just get 3 orders of different sashimi. I'd drop the shrimp tempura roll because the tempura adds unnecessary calories. Go with either the cucumber or california roll, or try the spicy shrimp roll if you still want the shrimp. Then maybe add two pieces of sashimi? I'm not a huge fan, I won't lie--the ones I can deal with are tuna and the snapper.
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I vote Nigiri (sashimi on rice) Combo #1, You can either take the fish off the rice or eat it with the rice if you're having a problem getting full and it will give you a chance to try a variety of sashimi to see which ones you like. Plus it comes with a CA roll to fill you up a little more. Eating the Sashimi off the Nigiri and a CA roll would probably be enough food :)
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Btw dry I guess isnt the proper word for why I use eel sauce. It just gives it an extra kick that I enjoy. Thanks for the tips, never tried yellowtail, will give that a go for sure