Lean Cuisines, Smart ones, Michalenas' or Healthy Choice?

Okay,

Just curious what people do for lunches. I am a Lean Cuisine girl myself, quick, easy and cheap.. However, I am getting burnt out on them.. There's only so many recipes that don't have peppers in them that I like sooo it's getting to be slim-pickens for me..

Any suggestions on quick, easy ,portable, lunches?? I know the other brands too, I just usually stick with Lean Cuisine because it's always on sale when I go shopping.

How many of you eat them for your lunches?

Replies

• Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    I cook my own. I never found the microwave stuff that appealing. Too salty and not filling.

Usually, I make a big meal and take the leftovers (premeasured) as lunch.
  • HopefulLeigh
    HopefulLeigh Posts: 363 Member
    I can not stand Healthy Choice lunches. To me, they're keeping the stigma that healthy food has to be bland. No bueno there! I do LOVE Smart Ones though. They're tasty, they're flavorful and they fill me up.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Left over dinner is my favorite.
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    I have weaned myself off of these "convenience" meals and just make larger batches of dinners, so I can freeze some and take some to work during the week.
  • abbie017
    abbie017 Posts: 410
    I cook my own lunch the night before. I used to do the frozen meals until I realized the sodium content was shooting me in the food, diet-wise.
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    I love Healthy Choice. I literally crave them.
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    I do not eat any of them. I usually have leftovers for lunch.
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    I cook my own. I never found the microwave stuff that appealing. Too salty and not filling.

Usually, I make a big meal and take the leftovers (premeasured) as lunch.

Ditto. I prepack my lunch at dinner time so it is ready to go in the morning (I am a late sleeper Hehe).
  • darlalu00
    darlalu00 Posts: 187 Member
    Progresso Light soups
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Smart Ones are decent. Healthy Choice steamers are pretty good, though I confess I haven't tried their other varieties. I usually get the pasta-y ones. I find that I end up adding salt (usually garlic salt), or pepper, or whatever, to most of them. They supposedly have alot of sodium (which, whatever, have an extra glass of water and call it a day, lol) but I like ALOT of salt lol.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    I make my own, or whatever is on sale. Honestly, they are all about the same.
    Sodium is horrible on some, but other than that.
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Subway - I pick one up on the way to work as I rarely get a lunchbreak. Under 300 cals for a lot of the lighter ones and filling too!
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    I get the bowls to add water and cook pasta, stuffing or whatever - the not frozen...Healthy choice or the other brands. Those are quick and easy. Or if you like Tuna, they have Tuna Cups that don't need to be drained or can openers and those are great with crackers
  • thinby40
    thinby40 Posts: 113
    I used to love lean cuisines but I realized they have too much sodium in there. I eat them occassionally if I need something quick. I like to eat salads for lunch w/ grilled chicken or protein shakes which usually fill me up.
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    i like the healthy choice naturals meals. those are the only ones i buy. no scary ingredients. good flavor. the sodium can be a bit high but i don't really need to watch my sodium levels. i always add a cup of fresh vegetables into the mix. today i am having tortellini primavera and i added in a cup of fresh carrots. i really like the pumpkin squash ravioli.

i have tried many of the other styles they do and other brands most are so very bland!
  • Kabula
    Kabula Posts: 97 Member
    I would say just try cooking! Those package meals have tons of sodium! not very good for you! they're not filling and get you loaded with sodium which makes you retain water.
  • lisastrom
    lisastrom Posts: 108 Member
    I like Michelina's Lean Gourmet meals. I would love to do like everybody else said and take leftovers for lunch but with 5 guys in the house, there's no such thing as a "left over"!!! (I already have to cook restaurant sized servings so the idea of making a bigger batch is pretty unrealistic).
  • Healthy_Hannah483
    Healthy_Hannah483 Posts: 151 Member
    I've actually never tried that stuff just because its not suppose to be that "healthy" although it has lower calories and such. I like to pack salads...waldorf is my fave and right now I'm eating a greek chicken pita pocket. I'll share the recipe in case you want them.
    Waldorf Salad:
    lettuce (duh! I mix mine half lettuce half spinach sometimes)
    1/2 green apple, cubed
    1/2 cup grapes, halved
    candied walnuts (I candy my own on the stove with a bit of water and truvia on medium heat)
    dried cranberries
    For the dressing (you can of course do whatever you like)
    3oz fage 0% greek yogurt (or any plain yogurt)
    1 tbsp lemon juice
    pepper to taste (I do it until it looks like ranch :P)

Greek pita pocket:
    pita pocket
    tyson grilled chicken strips
    feta cheese
    3oz fage 0% greek yogurt
    1 tsp red wine vinegar
    1 tsp lemon juice
    1/4 tsp greek seasoning
    dash of powdered garlic
    Put the chicken & feta cheese in the microwave until cheese is melted. Combine yogurt, vinegar, lemon juice, greek seasoning, and garlic in a bowl until blended. Take chicken out and put in bowl, mix until all chicken is covered. Put in pita pocket and enjoy! I top my pita pocket with some shredded lettuce.
  • I tend to alternate a lot, because I'm like you and get tired of the same foods. Sometimes I have Healthy Choice, and sometimes I enjoy a Marie Callender lunch. The funny thing is, when I make my own, the calories are almost always higher than just eating one of the boxed meals, and it's easier to control portions this way.
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Subway - I pick one up on the way to work as I rarely get a lunchbreak. Under 300 cals for a lot of the lighter ones and filling too!

I'm with her. Yes it is "higher" in sodium, however, the fresh veggies really make-up for it in my opinion. I am the type where I will probably bring sandwiches to work anyway, so if I want fast, I do Subway. I get a 9 Grain Whole Wheat, Turkey, pepper jack, lettuce, cucumber, and green peppers for 320 calories. I am also SO much more satisfied after that than those microwave meals.

Microwave meals usually leave me starving (I have a BIG appetite haha)!