Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Protein, Fat, Sat. Fat, Carbs

Ok, so you know how at the bottom of your food diary it displays how much Protein, Sat. Fat, and whatever else you select to track?
Well, what happens when you are over in Protein and Fiber and under in fats and carbs? That's a good thing, right? Or should I want to eat my reccomended fat intake? I would think that was weird. In the beginning I was lacking in Protein and Fiber but now I'm always exceeding. Any insight??

Replies

• You should eat the fat intake. Your body definitely needs fat. Try adding olive oil to your foods :]

As for protein and fiber no worries there ^-^ def a good thing. Next thing would to be to focus on getting the fiber from whole foods :]
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    It depends how much you're over and under. People eschewing fats or carbs altogether are missing essential ingredients of a healthy diet
  • PBJunkie
    PBJunkie Posts: 652
    Protein and fat is vital for your health, make sure to meet them everyday.
  • janeinspain
    janeinspain Posts: 173 Member
    Going over in protein and fiber is great. Try to stay as low as possible in carbs though - I found it to keep me satiated and with very low cravings. Regarding the fat, I'd say that you should not try to lower it. I'm talking about the good fat that comes from stuff like: extra virgin olive oil, dark organic chocolate over 80%, almonds, peanut butter, Greek yogurt, salmon. They are good for you and help you with the feeling that you're full.
  • photo_kyla
    photo_kyla Posts: 322 Member
    Your body needs carbs to make your muscles and normal bodily functions work. If you're way under on your carbs, it will start breaking down your muscles to make the cells function. That's why they suggest eating before a morning workout and why marathon runners carbo-load before a race. If your level is just a little low, don't worry about it, but if it's REALLY low (as in you're trying to cut them out completely) you're just destroying muscle and when you start eating them again, the muscles won't be there to burn them so they become fat.

Also, your brain and nerves *need* carbs to function. With out enough carbs, you might start to feel like you can't think as well.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,021 Member
    You're fine on protein and fiber. As for carbs and fats, depends on what kinds you are eating. Get most of your carbs from vegetables and fruits. Any grain-based carbs should come from whole grain sources. You need to be more concerned about the quality of the carbs you're eating than the quantity unless your other macronutrients (protein and fats) are suffering because of your carb intake. Speaking of fats, It's fine to reach your limit on fats as long as you're eating a good balance of saturated and unsaturated fats. Your body needs healthy fats, and dietary fats will not cause you to gain weight if you are eating at a deficit.
  • ami299
    ami299 Posts: 57
    Ok, so for example, yesterday I was 90g under in carbs, 8g under in Sat. Fat, 26g under in fat, 2g over in fiber and 10g over in protein.
    Then one day last week I was 10g over in carbs, 10g under in sat fat, 29g under in fat, 4 g under in fiber and 1g over in protein.

I feel like I am all over the place. I don't know how to make sure I get the healthy fats and nutrients I need. :/
  • Fat is way too low. Make sure you bring that up! Try to get in some omega-3s :] Those help your hair, nails, and skin too :] and amazing fat for weight loss. You do need some sat fat too so don't stress it too much :] What I do is changed my rations to 40/30/30 carb/fat/protein. That is the number I aim for everyday