Low calorie pasta

Hope everyone is enjoying their day! Went to make this pasta for lunch from a blog I found on MFP (http://www.dashingdish.com/2011/06/loaded-pasta-salad/) and tried to use the pasta in my pantry...good thing I took a look at the calories before using Barilla's Tri Color Rotini. 200 calories for 2 ounces!! (1/4 of a cup!?? That's like one bite of pasta...)

Any suggestions for low calorie, high fiber pastas out there? Especially rotinis to go with this recipe now that I was all excited about it...thanks!

Replies

• Its 2 oz uncooked :] SO when you cook it then it seems like a lot more!
  • jenfactor
    jenfactor Posts: 124
    If you make that serving of pasta but add a bunch of cut up veggies and beans or meat, it will be relatively low cal and really filling!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,021 Member
    2 oz of dry pasta is more than 1/4 cup. The oz measurement on measuring cups is for fluid measurements, not solids. I use Barilla Whole Grain penne pasta, and 2 oz of that, according to my food scale, is about 3/4 cup uncooked. Once cooked, It is actually more than I can eat in one meal, so I usually only make 1 to 1.5 oz.
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    I like the hungry girl ****atki (sp) noodles its great
  • ambercanfly
    ambercanfly Posts: 150 Member
    I'd highly suggest using spaghetti squash instead of noodles and then making a heavy protein pasta sauce! It's my favorite low-cal pasta dish!
  • lexximan
    lexximan Posts: 322 Member
    2 oz of dry pasta is more than 1/4 cup. The oz measurement on measuring cups is for fluid measurements, not solids. I use Barilla Whole Grain penne pasta, and 2 oz of that, according to my food scale, is about 3/4 cup uncooked. Once cooked, It is actually more than I can eat in one meal, so I usually only make 1 to 1.5 oz.

Agreed I make myself a helping of about 2/3 cup cooked of the Barilla and only finish about 3/4 of that. =]

Its so yummy
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Yes, agreed..tons of veggies..will make it seem like a lot more than it really is...