greek yogurt

Options
Breckgirl
Breckgirl Posts: 606 Member
Could someone tell me what is the difference between regular yogurt and greek yogurt? I've tried the vanilla greek yogurt and I saw no difference. Just curious.

Replies

• sandi228
    sandi228 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    There's more protein in greek yogurt. check the labels.
  • noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt is much thicker, creamier. Also when I first tried it, I did not like it but now love it. I use the plain greek yogurt. I mix in garlic salt, paprika and dill weed for a good veggie dip. I also mix in almond butter for a creamy, rich dessert type snack. It's great as a substitute for sour cream too.
  • grannygethealthy1111
    Options
    Greek yogurt is thicker, has double the protein, fewer carbs, and half the sodium as regular yogurt. However, regular yogurt has more calcium.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    its much more thick and creamy, and also tart if you just get plain. i like to use it in place of mayo and sour cream.. i also use it in my fruit/veggie smoothies. or i add in some grapenuts and a little honey for breakfast. im not a big fan of the flavored greek yogurts ive tried, other than the honey ones.
  • daves160
    daves160 Posts: 600
    Options
    Get good greek yougurt. It should contain at least 21g of protien or more per serving. I also has more probiotics and live cultures than regular yogurt- good for the digestive system.
  • Arabian♥Breeze
    Options
    Just a thought....
    Be careful with eating any kind of yogurt, most have high fructose corn syrup and lots of added sugar. Even tho it can say fat free. SUGAR IS FATTENING! so its not really fat free

Just thought i add that
  • mjgregg12
    Options
    A lot of the so called "light" yogurts have the chemical sweetners in them, too.
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Protein!! You need the protein for energy, especially! Check the sites below...

http://exercise.about.com/cs/nutrition/a/protein_2.htm

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/nutrient_calculator.htm

I go 40-30-30 myself...
  • catherine4211
    catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I don't like regular yogurt. The greek yogurt is thicker and almost tastes like dessert. I mix granola in it. I eat it almost everyday so I'm worried I'll get sick of it but for now I LOVE IT.
  • Breckgirl
    Options
    Just a thought....
    Be careful with eating any kind of yogurt, most have high fructose corn syrup and lots of added sugar. Even tho it can say fat free. SUGAR IS FATTENING! so its not really fat free

Just thought i add that

I noticed the sugar content. Is there any without the corn syrup?
  • Breckgirl
    Options
    Protein!! You need the protein for energy, especially! Check the sites below...

http://exercise.about.com/cs/nutrition/a/protein_2.htm

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/nutrient_calculator.htm

I go 40-30-30 myself...

Thanks for those web sites!
  • bsgillkc
    bsgillkc Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Breckgirl
    If you want flavored Greek-style yogurt without corn syrup, try Chobani. It doesn't have corn syrup or artificial sweeteners in it. The sugar count is somewhat high on the flavored varieties, but if you go with plain there is very little sugar (just the naturally occurring sugars from the milk). You can easily add fresh fruit to balance out the flavor if it's too tangy for you.
  • Breckgirl
    Options
    Breckgirl
    If you want flavored Greek-style yogurt without corn syrup, try Chobani. It doesn't have corn syrup or artificial sweeteners in it. The sugar count is somewhat high on the flavored varieties, but if you go with plain there is very little sugar (just the naturally occurring sugars from the milk). You can easily add fresh fruit to balance out the flavor if it's too tangy for you.

Thanks for the heads up. I mostly get the vanilla flavored but I'm going to try the plain and play with it a little. Maybe try some agave in it.