Dairy Free Diet Anyone?

Options
Hello all!!

I've been having stomach problems lately and went to see a doctor. He put me on a dairy free diet for two weeks to see if I may have a dairy allergy. Does anyone else follow this type of diet? I'm not really sure what to look for in the ingredients, dairy is hidden under a bunch of different names!! Anybody have any experience with dairy free diets??

Thanks so much!

Replies

• sstoutccn
    Options
    Yes, I am a Naturopathic Doctor who recommends dairy free diets. Stay away from anything containing "lacto" or Casein or whey. No cheese, milk, cream, non-dairy creamers (they aren't really dairy-free), protein shakes (unless dairy and soy-free). Try almond or coconut milk instead of regular milk. Good luck!
  • MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I cut out dairy for a period when I was doing a paleo diet (caveman diet). It's not that bad, and there are lots of great alternatives! (coconut milk is my favorite... not dairy at all!!)

Here is a site that may help you: http://www.godairyfree.org/Food-to-Eat/Food-Label-Info/Dairy-Ingredient-List.html
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Im just lactose intolerant. So i try my best to stay away from milk, yogurt, ice cream, cheese etc.
  • LisaRussell27
    Options
    Hi, I'm on a dairy free diet. The main thing to look for is lactose. Depending on how intolerant you are you may need to check medications as well as tablets are often coated in lactose to help them go down easier. I use lactofree milk as I really cannot stand soya milk. Lactofree milk has still got some lactose in but not much. Soya custard is delicious though. You can add me if you want and we can help each other. :smile:
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Is it the dairy or the lactose? If you are lactose intolerant you will have to play around with it. My son is lactose intolerant but on a mild level - so long as we keep his dairy (i.e. cheese, milk, butter, etc.) to a minimum and he takes Lactaid if he eats something containing dairy (i.e. pizza) then he is fine. If you do some searching on the internent there are many alternatives to dairy products. Some of my son's favorites are Veggie Cheese (found in the produce department), So Delicious Coconut Non-Dairy Ice Cream (many different kinds) and Almond Breeze Vanilla almond milk. When he is having a very bad flair up we keep Lactaid milk in the house - he doesn't like to drink it plain - but it is good to use in food to replace milk (even his dad and I don't mind it). Good luck and I hope it all works out for you.
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Why exactly was dairy-free recommended? There are better ways to discover lactose intolerance. Also, if that's the case, you can still have dairy, just not lactose free.

Anything else, there isn't much real evidence to not include dairy besides acne concerns and/or a vegan/paleo diet. Beware teh pseudosciencez!
  • katrinalynne1213
    katrinalynne1213 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    ASH! my room mate of 5 years in college had a dairy allergy. Avoid anything in the ingredients that start with the prefix "lact". Just ask me in person for more info about this sometime.

Also, there is a big difference between a dairy allergy, and lactose intolerance. The allergy has to do with your immune system while lactose intolerance involves the digestive system. People with extreme dairy allergies will experience anaphylaxis, while people with extreme lactose intolerance will get an extreme case of the runs. It is interesting that your doctor suggested the allergy before the intolerance.
  • livestar
    livestar Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Yes! Indeed, dairy allergies are vastly different from lactose intolerance.

Discovering my dairy allergy has literally changed my life! I found out about a year ago after extensive testing for every gastro disorder, cancer, and rare syndrome possible. Not gonna lie, I still miss many dairy rich foods, but not being sick anymore is completely worth giving up pizza, lasagna, and ice cream for.

For dairy allergics, it's not just the lactose you need to watch out for. It's all the derivatives that they add to products (esp beauty products), for example lactic acid and dairy-derived preservatives, additives, flavorings, thickeners. Be careful with soy milks--some use dairy products for texture and thickening. Best thing I did was learn to shop Kosher Parve. Recommend reading, Go Dairy Free if you are a sufferer.
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I am vegan, so I don't consume dairy products. You definitely have to read the labels. There is dairy in things you'd least expect - like potato chips!

I prefer almond milk. I like the unsweetened for drinking, the vanilla for baking and for use in my hot tea in the morning and my oatmeal for breakfast. I keep unsweetened soy milk for adding to savory dishes. I make an Alfredo sauce with raw cashews that is super yummy and creamy. I've also made vegan truffles using a raw cashew cream and no one at the tea had a clue they were vegan - they just scarfed them down!

We are the only adult species to drink another species' milk and to drink milk beyond infancy. Life without it has been so much better for me. I've discovered I am lactose intolerant (as are many adults) after avoiding milk and having it accidentally.
  • minchk1n
    Options
    I'm dairy intolerant (I was tested for an allergy but nothing showed up). Mine causes very bad IBS symptoms and causes me to get very ill (to the point I am bed bound) so I have no choice but to stay away. I found it really hard to begin with but am okay with soya milk, goats cheese and soya yogurt... the biggest problem (as others have said) is the hidden dairy in other products where you wouldnt expect it.... good luck