Plantar faciitis and exercising

Options
2»

Replies

• yeroc39
    yeroc39 Posts: 55
    Options
    There is a lot of good advice on all of these posts. Unfortunately, the healing is a very personal thing, as is the recurrence. If you go to a doctor, make sure its a sports podiatrist because most doctors advice is "well just don't run. I have been a triathlete for 25 years and I cannot even count how many times I have had it. But here is what helped and you can save a trip to the podiatrist because this is what they will tell you...and charge you an arm and a foot for their night boot.....mine charged my insurance company $210 for a $40 boot.

Look into the night boot and wear it when you are sitting around at night and then when you sleep

DO NOT go barefoot, always wear something with a sole, even a slipper with a hard bottom

Try to not run for 2 weeks....it might be hard but try. Pool running is really good of if you really feel like you have to do something at the gym, ride the bike or even an elipitical machine is not that much pressure on it. But try not to stress it for 2 weeks.

Do the calf stretches because that actually does help, and if done right, on a step, will also stratch out the Faschia.

Ice it 3 times a day. Take a waterbottle and freeze it. Then place it on the floor on a towel and roll your foot slowly back and forth over it for 10 minutes.

Checking your shoes as well. Do you have a high arch or fallen arches, and getting an inexpensive shoe insert for your running shoes helps.

And then be patient.....its a nagging injury for sure. Cortisone shots do help if all else fails. But you can only go to that well once.....

Good luck.
  • lisamerida
    lisamerida Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I suffered with plantar facitis for years. I tried sleeping in the boot which was uncomfortable, I tried all the pills from the dr., but the only thing that has helped me was the shots of cortisone in my foot. I had 3 shots in my right foot and it has been pain free for the last 2 years. I have been able to start walking again and recently lost 50 pounds since February.