C25K Training

Has anyone else begun a 5K training program? Or just running period? I'm going to challenge myself and just wanted to know if anyone had and if there are any tips to be shared... Or just your experience. :wink:

Replies

• bigirishape
    bigirishape Posts: 3 Member
    I'm finishing Week 3 of the C25K challenge today (assuming the rain holds off). Highly recommended, I can feel myself running better and longer as I go along. It is a little brutal on the knees and shins in my case, but I already feel great having started it. Only 6 weeks to go, light at the end of the tunnel!

There are a number of C25K podcast programs out there, so look around and pick one that sounds good to you. I use one called Podcast Intervals, it has some techno-y music to it, and sound cues to run/walk, but the BPM of the songs really helps me keep pace and not run too fast or slow (even when chugging up a steep hill at a very slow pace, my feet are still up and down to the beat).
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    In the middle of week 6!! I am a beginner, so this is quite a challenge! Feel free to add me.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Or if you have a smart phone there are apps you can download.
  • MizzDoc
    MizzDoc Posts: 493 Member
    I completed C25K several months ago and I just finished Bridge 210K. I cant say enough about both programs.

You can join (or just view) the C25K forums over at: http://c25k.cze.dk/index.php. GREAT RESOURCE and you can read posts from runners at all levels of C25K (and beyond).

Keep with the program and you will see results.
  • albali
    albali Posts: 225 Member
    I just have week 9 to go. I had never run before. I haven't found it difficult as such, but I have found it challenging! It tests you mentally as well as physically. I love it! Friend me if you like! Good luck with it!
  • ramius
    ramius Posts: 91
    I did the C25K program and literally when I started it I had done next to 0 running.. I confess I had to do a couple of the weeks twice..but I alloted for that and I did mine on a treadmill based on time not distance..

However once I completed that and continued it on the last week -- I have now completed 3 5ks and have my 4th coming up.. I'm no sprinter but I come in somewhere in the middle of the pack and I'm proud of that and just completing them is an accomplishement so to me thats the goal.. although it is nice to see a slight increase in lower times each time.. but its been a way to keep me motivated to keep doing cardio ....

I know this was a rather long answer but do it and you'll see it works :) -- good luck from a former non-runner
  • jennysmission
    jennysmission Posts: 391 Member
    We just started a group we all have just finished week 1 day 1 so if you want to join its C25K 10-10-11/12-12-11 I think Ill post a link!
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Just started Pre-Training week 1/2 , start the full program next Monday.
  • upnorthtim
    upnorthtim Posts: 376 Member
    I finished C25K over the summer and have since run several 5k events. I am not very fast but I can finish and it feels great just to be able to do this. Just stick with it and don't get down on yourself if you have a bad day and don't feel good running. Good Luck!
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    bump!
  • beginning week 4 of c25k. very excited!
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    I did it in the past. My main tip is to take it slow! Start running slow and focus on time rather than distance. If you try to go too fast too soon then you're more likely to get shin splints and other running injuries that will hold you back.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    I started C25K after never having run before..... I found the first 3 weeks quite easy - and quite boring....
    My son then reminded me that I was already quite fit - and not really a couch potato anymore...
    I then did a run to see what I could do - and ran 20 mins.....next one 25....and then 30
    I am still running quite slow, but can comfortably do 30 mins - which I all I wanted...
    Started running intervals this week - bit more challenging
    Doing it all on the treadmill - have not been brave enough to venture out on the street where I don't have all the controls and information the tm gives me
  • Nickstery
    Nickstery Posts: 324 Member
    I've been doing it off and on with HIIT training. It does help to break into this first!
  • LuluGirl140
    LuluGirl140 Posts: 364 Member
    Anyone have any free apps they can recommend? I've searched the Android market and am not sure which one to get. I'd like to start within the next month or so.
  • Jaytee79
    Jaytee79 Posts: 237 Member
    I just started Week 2 of C25K. My shins are still a litle sore when I finish- but much better than they were following Day 1. My best advice is make sure you have a good pair of runners. I am not a runner....I have never been a runner....but I'm going to make it all the way to the end if it kills me!
  • thirtyandthriving
    thirtyandthriving Posts: 613 Member
    I am on week 7. I never thought in 1 milion years that I would be able to run for 2.5 miles. It takes effort. I have to tell myself that I can do it while I'm running. I seriously have to talk myself through it. But Im doing it. If I can do it, then anyone can. I know that sounds cliche, but I'm serious. When I started I weighed about 220lbs...
  • FAVOLOSOMII
    FAVOLOSOMII Posts: 188 Member
    Gotcha! I hurt my foot last year, so I'm going to stay on the first week for a couple of weeks. Then I'll hit it hard! Thanks for the response and suggestion!
  • FAVOLOSOMII
    FAVOLOSOMII Posts: 188 Member
    That was very helpful! Thanks bunches! I tried day one, but I didn't have much success. I'm not giving up though. I'll stay on day one until I get through it and move from there. I'm not rushing myself because I don't want to injury myself and then give up.