Are baked apples with cinnamon good or bad?

Options
I personally love apples, and they've been a huge part of my diet since I started MFP. I read a thread about cinnamon, which gave me a thought about baking apples with cinnamon. Considering they'll be baked with butter, I was wondering how nutritious they'd be. Is it a good choice? Or should I pick something else to eat?

Replies

• MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    It would be as nutritious as the ingredients are. If those ingredients fit into your daily caloric and macronutrient goals, then it's perfectly fine.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Have you tried looking online for recipes that don't require butter?
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    It would be as nutritious as the ingredients are. If those ingredients fit into your daily caloric and macronutrient goals, then it's perfectly fine.
    Agreed! It's all natural, wholesome ingredients. Go for it! Especially as you are not adding refined sugar :smile:
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Just skip the butter. Apples + Cinnamon are amazing on their own.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I'd eat one as long as I allowed the cals in my daily goal for it! Enjoy!
  • bubbles006
    Options
    MOST anything is ok in MODERATION if your like me though unfortunatle I never know when to stop eating. exspecially sweets.
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Just one tsp of butter will make the dessert much more sinfully satisfying and won't kill you. Just count it in your daily allowance!
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Why don't you use a steamer bag or something and steam them with cinnamon. That's what I do... no butter needed.
  • sweetxsour35
    Options
    Thanks guys! I think I'll use just a small amount of butter so it's not as bad.
  • chicky89
    chicky89 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I cut mine up into pieces, add some water so it doesnt burn and than add cinnamon.
    FYI- Cinnamon boosts your metabolism :)
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    It depends. Are there any bad apples in the bunch? You know it only takes one.
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Just skip the butter. Apples + Cinnamon are amazing on their own.

Agreed! YUM!!!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I love baked apples. Leave out the butter and spray with a little pam and put a tbls.of granola on top. I crush up a Crunchy granola bar.

Apple Red - Medium, 154 g - 1 apple
    General Mills - Nature Valley - Apple Crisp Granola Bars, 1 Bars
    Condiment - Pam Butter spray, 1 second spray
    Spices - Cinnamon, ground, 0.33 tbsp
    Cal 174 Carb 37 Fat 4 Protein 2 Sodium 71
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I would think that even cinnamon sprinkled on sliced apple would be good. The sweetness in fruit usually is enough to make the cinnamon taste 'right'.
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    It depends. Are there any bad apples in the bunch? You know it only takes one.

I love a smarta$$ :)

good job! (and no, I'm not the bad apple in the bunch)
  • Stacera
    Stacera Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    if you really want to add butter, how about Can't Believe it's Not Butter, or promise or something along those lines... also, pears and cinnamon are delicious.
  • SimplyFreckled
    SimplyFreckled Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Please for the love of all things...If you feel the need to use some sort of gut lubricant, use real butter. Taking something healthy like apples and adding a bunch of chemicals does not sound delicious. just my opinion. Besides how much butter would you need that it would make that much of a caloric difference?
  • sweetxsour35
    Options
    I love baked apples. Leave out the butter and spray with a little pam and put a tbls.of granola on top. I crush up a Crunchy granola bar.

Apple Red - Medium, 154 g - 1 apple
    General Mills - Nature Valley - Apple Crisp Granola Bars, 1 Bars
    Condiment - Pam Butter spray, 1 second spray
    Spices - Cinnamon, ground, 0.33 tbsp
    Cal 174 Carb 37 Fat 4 Protein 2 Sodium 71

I just happen to have a box of those nature valley bars in the house :) thanks for the idea!
  • sandi228
    sandi228 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Here's what I did recently:

1 medium size macintosh apple
    1tsp cinnamon
    1tsp splenda

I peeled and cut my apple in slices then cut the slice in half, rinsed the apples with water in micro safe dish, added cinnamon and splenda, stirred to coat apples well. I microwaved covered for 1 minute. It was delicious: the only calories were from the apple 80cals.
  • TerraGirl17
    TerraGirl17 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I just found a great app for my blackberry called Healthy Recipes, it's wicked!! It hs over 200,000 recipes and they all have the nutrional info with them. Funny, I was browsing the app today and found this which I think applies here. Warm Apples with Granola Topping

1 small aple
    2 tablespoons granola
    ! packet splenda or 1/4 tsp cinnamon

Core and dice the apple into large chunks. Top with Granola, splenda or cinnamon. Heat in microwave for 1 to 1.5 mins. Eat warm

Cals 145
    total fat 4.3
    cholesterol 0
    sodium 3.7
    total carbs 25.7
    dietery fiber 4.6
    protein 2.6

I am thinking this will be my evening snack tonight :-)