Article - does running make you fat?

Elleinnz
Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
really great article on some of the misconceptions around exercise - and traps for players (runners targeted in this article)
Worth reading right to the end....

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/news/article.cfm?c_id=6&objectid=10758486

Replies

• mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    So really, running doesn't make you fat. YOU make you fat (not you the OP, general you). It's common sense. You run and still overeat of course you're going to get fat.
  • manjingirl
    manjingirl Posts: 188 Member
    There's been a a number of articles pedalling this slightly warped arguement recently. Essentially - if you exercise, you eat more and you don't lose weight in fact you might even gain weight. Therefore exercise is a waste of time.

Weight loss is 80% food intake, 20% exercise, nothing new in that.

Health is good food intake, healthy amount of exercise, attention to developing medical issues, attention to mental health.

Exercise is good for you, it assists in maintenance of weight, maintenance of muscle mass, maintenance of good balance, very good for mental health, management and prevention of type 2 diabetes and on the list goes.

I think the notion of exercise as a single method for weight loss was debunked years ago but some journalists just haven't caught up.
  • seasonalvoodoo
    seasonalvoodoo Posts: 380 Member
    The problem is that a lot of people have no idea how much they burn and no idea how much they eat. That, simply, can lead to weight gain no matter how much you run.

Running is my primary form of exercise and it has definitely not made me fat, see ticker!
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    So the latest news is vitamins are bad for you, and running makes you fat!

And to think we've been doing it wrong all this time!

Sigh, no wonder new people get confused...
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    I hate sensationalist headlines and that article horrifically convoluted the issue.

Love the great comments at the end of it, though!
  • StaceyL76
    StaceyL76 Posts: 711 Member
    Great info!

thanks for sharing. = ) This really helped things set up properly in my head and where my workouts are going. Thank you Elle. = )
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    I'm so glad I don't run. That's probably how I lost so much weight.
  • Elleinnz

Health is good food intake, healthy amount of exercise, attention to developing medical issues, attention to mental health.

Exercise is good for you, it assists in maintenance of weight, maintenance of muscle mass, maintenance of good balance, very good for mental health, management and prevention of type 2 diabetes and on the list goes.

I think the notion of exercise as a single method for weight loss was debunked years ago but some journalists just haven't caught up.

LOL - if you had read to the end of the article you would have seen....

It is important not to downplay the benefits of exercise. The part it plays in weight loss has been overstated, but it has a crucial role in most aspects of our physical health, in fighting disease and in moderating mental health. Even better, a morning jog will put a smile on your face.
  • Elleinnz
    When I first saw a dietician she said that in her experience most people starting out underestimate what they eat by 70% - and overestimate the amount of exercise they do by at least 65% .......and then can't understand why they are not losing weight.....

It really made me very angry that she seemed to be very dismissive of exercise as a tool in the weight loss journey......but looking back I suppose from her experience people would sweat for an hour - and then think imhave earned that pizza or burger......

My personal philosophy - it is just another tool in my arsenal of knowledge to keep my body and mind active and healthy :-)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    That was a very oddly written article. Probably led to more confusion than anything else.
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    HI! I run cross country for my college.

It doesn't make you fat :D !

it may make it hard for you to go from 16% bf down to 12%, but if your talking about the "average person"-- if the average person runs and cuts calories, they are going to lose weight-- end of story! sorrrry.
  • manjingirl
    manjingirl Posts: 188 Member

LOL - if you had read to the end of the article you would have seen....

It is important not to downplay the benefits of exercise. The part it plays in weight loss has been overstated, but it has a crucial role in most aspects of our physical health, in fighting disease and in moderating mental health. Even better, a morning jog will put a smile on your face.
    Yes, great journalistic trick - put sensational nonsense at the beginning of the article and then put the truth right at the end.