Swiss Chard

Options
I just tried it for the first time tonight. AMAZING!

Replies

• voluptuous_veggie
    voluptuous_veggie Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Rainbow Chard tastes very similar and looks super pretty in your food if you're making a dish for a party!
  • _Sonia_
    _Sonia_ Posts: 40
    Options
    This is wonderful stuff. Add a little garlic to it... mmm. And make an omelette with the leftovers! I love love LOVE Swiss chard, especially the rainbow kind. I sautee the stalks in a little olive oil and garlic, then throw in the leaves and a bit of water and put the lid on till it all softens up. Best. Vegetable. Ever. :)
  • topaz2986
    topaz2986 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I grow it in my garden...sooooo easy to grow. I just walk to the end of the deck and cut off a few leaves. I love it.
  • montiy
    montiy Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Swiss chard. Yuck. Sorry. :)
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I want to try it but every time I look it is really expensive here :(
  • audradanielle
    Options
    I grow it in my garden...sooooo easy to grow. I just walk to the end of the deck and cut off a few leaves. I love it.

!!! Oh my goodness. I want to start a garden SO bad!
  • audradanielle
    Options
    I want to try it but every time I look it is really expensive here :(

What about a farmer's market? It may be less.
  • Kaecklund
    Kaecklund Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Chopped, blanched, put in a baking dish, dotted with butter and sprinkled with cheese then baked! YUMMMMYYYY!
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    YUM!!! Know what else is good? Pigweed. For real. And it's free. It's a weed!!
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    YUM!!! Know what else is good? Pigweed. For real. And it's free. It's a weed!!

I have never heard of pigweed. I have also never tried swiss chard. I hear people asking about it all the time at the organic co op I go to, tho.
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    My grandmother (who is now deceased :( ) had a BIG garden in MI, and she'd get redroot pigweed growing in the garden. We picked it, washed it, steamed it, and ate it. It was delicious. The neighbor lady would always ask if she could have some too. My grandmother always shared, of course-that's the kind of lady she was. That's where I had the Swiss Chard too-my grandmothers. I have never bought it. I've looked, but it's too expensive. O_o

http://www.aihd.ku.edu/foods/Pigweed.html
  • janetb21
    janetb21 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I love Swiss chard. Cut it up, cook some ground turkey and season with garlic, fennel and some red pepper flakes. Put in the chard and a little water and steam it. It's so good!