Lunch Packing Ideas!

Options
HELP!!!
So every day I pack almost the same stuff as I do everyday for my lunch. For so little, it's high in calories. :/
I hate it. I wish to eat more with few calories.
The bread I eat is 12 grain which is 120 calories for one slice.
I can't switch breads... :/

I don't have much food to play around with either to get a good meal. I have some apples, cucumbers, fit & active stuff, hummus, pretzels...
That's my usual.

I want something with few calories that will fill me up a lot.
Anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• raw_sugar
    Options
    I found adding stuff to my sandwiches (even just a few leaves of lettuce) would make them more filling.
  • sarglava
    sarglava Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    What I make for lunch a lot is a grain salad. You take a cup of any grain (rice, barley, etc.), mix in lots of low calorie veggies (cucumbers, green beans, carrots, onions), add an ounce of cheese, then mix it together with any salad dressing or soy sauce or whatever..
    It's not "low calorie" but it is a lot of food for the amount of calories you to get. And it keeps you full for a while.
  • SaintOnEarth
    Options
    Personally I love taking Healthy Choice Steamers to work.. A large portion and usually about 300-400 calories.. They are amazing. My favorite, which I recommend is Chicken Margherita!
  • tsumpter
    tsumpter Posts: 491
    Options
    I love adding Greek Yogurt to my lunch. i take fresh blueberries and heat them on the stove with alittle water. If the blueberries are alittle tart I will add alittle splenda. I put this over the yogurt-delicious. It gives you a different texture to your lunch & it is like a treat.
  • Suepop1994
    Options
    Laughing cow cheese triangle is a great filler with celery at 35 calories. We love wasabi peas or corn nuts. Try homemade tuna or chicken salad. Kashi granola bars. 170 calories for 2 bars. Trail mix. Just a few things we enjoy. I find I snack on these things throughout the day and eat my 1/2 sandwich for my lunch.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Make sure you have protein every lunch - just satiates you so much longer - cans of tuna, chicken, steak, eggs, cottage cheese etc....
    I would pack a Basic Garden Salad, some protein, and then one or two cups of my leftover vegetables from the night before...
    Ryvita (original)....and then for an afternoon snack some frozen berries, fat free yoghurt - or ryvita and cottage cheese
  • kaitlynnesmommy
    kaitlynnesmommy Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I do Hormel Compleats (240-290) calories, Tuna and crackers (200) and sandwiches with lots of veggies. Good luck
  • thirtyandthriving
    thirtyandthriving Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    What about salads. You can make several for the week at one time and put them in tupperware. You can mix up the ingredients every week. You can add some apple and walnuts. There is a really good "dietary snack mix" that I found at walmart with the other trail mixes. I weight it out put it in a plastic baggy and then sprinkle it one top when it is lunch time. Measure out your salad dressing and put it in the condiment size tupperware containers. Grab what you need in the AM and go, or if you have access to a refrigerator then you can take 3 or so at time so you don't even have to worry about it everyday.
  • tsumpter
    Options
    Laughing cow cheese triangle is a great filler with celery at 35 calories. We love wasabi peas or corn nuts. Try homemade tuna or chicken salad. Kashi granola bars. 170 calories for 2 bars. Trail mix. Just a few things we enjoy. I find I snack on these things throughout the day and eat my 1/2 sandwich for my lunch.

Love these too......Herb is my favorite
  • tsumpter
    Options
    What about salads. You can make several for the week at one time and put them in tupperware. You can mix up the ingredients every week. You can add some apple and walnuts. There is a really good "dietary snack mix" that I found at walmart with the other trail mixes. I weight it out put it in a plastic baggy and then sprinkle it one top when it is lunch time. Measure out your salad dressing and put it in the condiment size tupperware containers. Grab what you need in the AM and go, or if you have access to a refrigerator then you can take 3 or so at time so you don't even have to worry about it everyday.

to mix up the salad....sometimes I will add alittle leftover chicken, steak, tuna & etc. Also, if you sprinkle alittle raisins or cranberries a whole new salad. Sometimes salad becomes blahhhh. Different cheeses will change the tastes & textures of a salad....I try to mix it up...
  • tsumpter
    Options
    be careful with the pre-packaged meals. They aren't bad once in awhile but they are loaded with sodium.:smile:
  • tsumpter
    Options
    Make sure you have protein every lunch - just satiates you so much longer - cans of tuna, chicken, steak, eggs, cottage cheese etc....
    I would pack a Basic Garden Salad, some protein, and then one or two cups of my leftover vegetables from the night before...
    Ryvita (original)....and then for an afternoon snack some frozen berries, fat free yoghurt - or ryvita and cottage cheese

love this & do it myself....:smile:
  • Circa1964
    Circa1964 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    On the weekend or for dinner make K-Bob's on the grill. I love them with chicken or steak, mushrooms, Red Bell Pepper, and Red Onion. A little Olive oil S&P or a dash of Soy Sauce mixed with oil for flavor. They are great the next day heated lightly with a damp paper towel in the microwave. Leftovers are great to take for lunch.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    I do lots of veggies - pretty much every snack or meal consists of a 1-2 servings of veg or 1-2 servings of fruit (one snack)... My calories are around 1600+ / day and usually look like the following

Meal 1 - huge bowl of oats with toppings, greek yogurt and PB + coffee
    Meal 2 - Raw veg + coffee (Im addicted!) or soy beans for protein
    Meal 3 - Large spinach salad with raw veggies, 100g cooked protein, and sometimes nutritional yeast, balsamic vinegar, fresh salsa, whatever I have on hand. Cottage cheese + salsa make for a great dressing substitute too. If you have extra cals toss in some nuts, avocado or other healthy fat.
    Meal 4 - Fruit + yogurt - greek if you have it - and sometimes a protein brownies or other topping, like 1/2 serving of cereal
    Meal 5 - 125-150g lean protein + 3-4 servings of vegetables - some fat here too would be great. Whatever you got!
    Meal 6 - Something sweet depending on my cals remaining - smart pop with mini choc chips, frozen yog, cottage cheese and spices/pudding mix, whatever I have on hand

My diet is just a laundry list of snacks, really. Lots of fruit and veg, good fats in nut butters, avocado, seeds, and lots of lean protein. I also use protein powders, egg whites and cottage cheese a lot to supplement.

Homemade "'sides" are great snacks. I make a lot of coleslaws and fresh salads, roasted veggies (roasted beets are my morning snack for tomorrow with some raw broccoli). I also love making homemade fresh pico de gallo to have with basically ANY meal - omelets, salads, meats, tacos, chili, you name it!

If you're a big carb fan, try a 100 calorie smart pop bag in the afternoon with some cinnamon sprinkled on top. Just a few suggestions :) Good luck!