Dilemma Over Oatmeal

leenites
leenites Posts: 166 Member
edited October 3 in Food and Nutrition
Hi peeps.

I am trying to lose the final 5% of my body fat. Weight is not too much of a problem since I'm 110lbs (which is ok for a 5'1'' 23-year-old).

Everywhere I go, the general advice is to cut down CARBS to a really low amount. Oatmeal however, contains a lot of carbs. I love them. They make me feel full and I have a lot of them in my stock. If I cut down on carbs, I won't be able to enjoy the food that I love so much!!!!!

What do you guys think? Should I keep eating them or should I cut down my consumption further? I used to take 1-2 cups a day. I already cut it down to 0.5-1cup a day. Yet it seems like I am still consuming too much carbs (brown rice, muesli, fruits). =(

Advice?

Replies

• 0PhAtDaDdY
    0PhAtDaDdY Posts: 569 Member
    High Carbs first day Low Carbs next day this pattern if continued I think will fix your issue....High Low High Low
  • prestonmay
    prestonmay Posts: 107 Member
    Pre Body Builder workout is HIGH one day Low next. Eat most of your carbs before 2 pm . Carbs before and after a good gym workout is not bad. Lower your FAT consumption . DO AWAY WITH THE MFP guided nutrition plan. DO 40 protein 40 carbs and 20 fat
    percent
  • hskriver
    hskriver Posts: 33 Member
    Carbs are an important part of your diet and you should be get about 50-55% of your calories each day from carbs. As long as you are in that range, you should be fine eating as much oatmeal as you want. Oatmeal is a good, complex type of carbs that is really healthy.
  • dinnae
    dinnae Posts: 28
    it depends if you are having instant oatmeal packs (like the quaker kind) or homecooked oatmeal.... oatmeal is very high in fibre, and those fibre calories are so very good for you. oatmeal keeps you full longer, is good for your brain... i would NEVER give up my oatmeal! on the days when i don`t have oatmeal, i end up snacking WAY more, and therefore my will power gets easily undermined by my grumbling tummy. i make mine with half milk half water, and then cinnamon and sweetener. 300 calories per 1cup dry is pretty reasonable.
  • No doubt you will get a full range of answers with good carb/bad carb and all carbs are bad themes. From my experience I have seen that people differ in how they respond to carbs - you need to find what works for you.

I am a big fan of oatmeal but only seem to lose weight with a low carb diet. I do eat oatmeal in the morning, particularly on days when I am going to the gym. It seems to work.
  • skinimin
    skinimin Posts: 252 Member
    Oatmeal is really good for you. If that's your favorite carbs then why not cut out the others and only keep the oats?
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Make sure it is steeal cut - more protein and fiber that way.
  • leenites
    Thanks for the reply so far.
    I use Quaker Oat Instant Oatmeal. It does not come in packeted pre-prepared sachets but just a giant plastic bag. I prefer the old-fashioned ones for their texture but because I did not have access to microwave and/or stove, I chose the instant one (just pour boiling water).

Once I finish with all my instant ones, I'll start digging into the good old-fashioned one because I now have microwave and stove.

I guess I can cut out rice completely but it will just look weird when my co-workers see me eat fish/beef/chicken without rice. Here in Asia, rice is staple food. >.< Also, I can cut out all my fruits too but aren't we supposed to eat fruits?

As for steel cut oat, they taste good for sure but I'm afraid they are a bit too expensive. I just started working and imported goods like steel cut oat is EXPENSIVE.
  • dryvonnesmith
    dryvonnesmith Posts: 20 Member
    Switch to Oat Bran. Eat daily for breakfast, the normal 1/4 cup serving. Switch up and make it into a pancake (add, egg white, 1 TBS yoguart, baking powder, stevia, dash of salt (optional). Ummmmm good. This is around 24 carbs. Add additional carbs to keep under 60 per day and you will see the desired results. Enjoy. (p.s. look up thenutritional value of oat bran over oatmeal or steel cut oatmeal--you will be eager to switch over.)
  • leenites
    Switch to Oat Bran. Eat daily for breakfast, the normal 1/4 cup serving. Switch up and make it into a pancake (add, egg white, 1 TBS yoguart, baking powder, stevia, dash of salt (optional). Ummmmm good. This is around 24 carbs. Add additional carbs to keep under 60 per day and you will see the desired results. Enjoy. (p.s. look up thenutritional value of oat bran over oatmeal or steel cut oatmeal--you will be eager to switch over.)

Oh wow. I've not heard of Oat Bran. I think I can definitely give a try provided the supermarket sells them.

====
    Also, as for carbs coming from fruit, how do I handle them? Should I cut them in exchange for more oat too? Kiwi has so much carbs.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Make sure your fruit is higher in fiber, fruits aren't created equal, I really like apples. Switch to wild rice instead of white rice or just ignore your coworkers. A for the ost bran, I suggest mixing it half and half with your oat meal to start.

Good luck to you.
  • leenites
    Make sure your fruit is higher in fiber, fruits aren't created equal, I really like apples. Switch to wild rice instead of white rice or just ignore your coworkers. A for the ost bran, I suggest mixing it half and half with your oat meal to start.

Good luck to you.

For rice, I normally take brown rice + mixture of red, green, and black beans for extra kick of protein. I can try wild rice too. I usually eat orange, banana, kiwi, papaya, and grapes as my fruit intake. Apple is HARD to chew for me. =(
This discussion has been closed.