Lack of progress...?

omgzstef
omgzstef Posts: 157
edited October 3 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey guys. So I'm looking to lose about 60 lbs, but it seems like my weight loss is going slower than desired. I've been counting calories for about a month now and heading to the gym about 4x a week. I'm eating what I'm supposed to.. and the scale is NOT budging! It's frustrating because I just started my weight loss and I hardly lost anything :( Any tips/advice?

Replies

• Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    How is your protein intake? How much sleep do you get?
  • dkvote
    dkvote Posts: 58
    Take your measurements...that is where you lose it first!
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    have you taken your measurements? Are you drinking your water?
  • deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Did you under-estimate your caloric intake? Because that is the main theme in this website ^_____________^
  • CRNPspinnut
    CRNPspinnut Posts: 2 Member
    Take a good look at the amount of fat, carbs, protein. I find that if I keep my carbs down below recommended total I do better.
    Keep it up though, also, try ramping up the exercise with more variety, that is if you tend to do the same thing.
    Don't give up!!
  • omgzstef
    - I get about 8-9 hours of sleep a night, so I'm definitely getting enough!
    - I drink anywhere from 6+ glasses of water a day
    - Haven't taken any measurements.. but my mom has said she has noticed me getting slimmer? (Not sure if that's just her being a mom though)
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    what is your weight loss per week goal? do you eat back any of your exercise calories?
    are you weighing and measuring your food to get a more exact idea of calories? do you ever go over on sodium?
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    - I get about 8-9 hours of sleep a night, so I'm definitely getting enough!
    - I drink anywhere from 6+ glasses of water a day
    - Haven't taken any measurements.. but my mom has said she has noticed me getting slimmer? (Not sure if that's just her being a mom though)

you should be drinking 8+ glasses of water a day. Measurements are a great way to track your progress. Sometimes I lose pounds, sometimes I lose inches--very rarely do I lose both at the same time.
  • omgzstef
    Aren't you supposed to eat back your exercise calories....? A lot of times my net is negative after I work out so I eat more..
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    If you're counting calories and working out hard at the same time, you might be swapping muscle for fat. Don't get discouraged and don't set any timelines if you can avoid it. Diets don't work. Lifestyle changes do. Lifestyle changes should give you all the time in the world to get it done. Good luck.
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Take your measurements...that is where you lose it first!

I agree, I went down a size the first month but the scale only went down about 3lbs the same the second month. Then all of the sudden I droped about 5 more lbs in like 2 weeks but the inches stayed the same, it is like a zig zag. Take pics, measure yourself every 2 weeks and keep a log. It will help with the motivation.
  • TODJ06
    TODJ06 Posts: 85
    Hey guys. So I'm looking to lose about 60 lbs, but it seems like my weight loss is going slower than desired. I've been counting calories for about a month now and heading to the gym about 4x a week. I'm eating what I'm supposed to.. and the scale is NOT budging! It's frustrating because I just started my weight loss and I hardly lost anything :( Any tips/advice?

How about changing some of the foods you are eating?
    Try some different foods (that are low calories).
    An example may be... try eating soup, instead of sandwiches. Soup high in water and vegetable content may fill you up faster, and could be lower in calories?

You could try having oat porridge (no sugar, no milk) just made with water for breakfast. Its easy to prepare, and healthy!

Just some ideas for you. :)
  • dryvonnesmith
    dryvonnesmith Posts: 20 Member
    Don't loose hope. That's why this website is great. Counting calories alone clearly is not working for you. Use MFP to count carbs as well. A must. Increase your proteins, cut the carbs, decrease the fat. Track this daily and watch the scales go down. Good luck.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    How slow is too slow? If the scale moves at all, you're doing good.

Just today, I was thinking about how it sucks because I can't break from 160. I want to hit 159 so bad. However, I looked at my journal, and realized, I was just at 163 two weeks ago, so I'm actually doing really good. A pound a week is awesome. I just weigh myself too often and time seems like it's gone by faster than it really has.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Aren't you supposed to eat back your exercise calories....? A lot of times my net is negative after I work out so I eat more..

Yes, definitely keep eating them. It just takes time, your body has to prepare and make a ton of adjustments. Patience is your best friend.
  • keenslk
    keenslk Posts: 126
    If you're counting calories and working out hard at the same time, you might be swapping muscle for fat. Don't get discouraged and don't set any timelines if you can avoid it. Diets don't work. Lifestyle changes do. Lifestyle changes should give you all the time in the world to get it done. Good luck.

I agree with this - dont be discouraged keep going at it! think of the benefits to your health and if you just hang in there the results will come
  • omgzstef
    To Fiberartist - I've lost 4 lbs in a matter of a month :/
  • omgzstef
    Thank you all for your advice and encouragement. I really appreciate it!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    To Fiberartist - I've lost 4 lbs in a matter of a month :/

That's actually really good. You should be proud of that.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    A pound a week is normal.
This discussion has been closed.