Plateau Question

Options
I've been wondering about how people come to plateaus in losing weight. It makes total sense, but how can you stop losing weight if you've got a daily deficit of calories in versus calories out? I would think that as long as you make sure you're eating less than the calories you're burning off over a period of time you would keep losing? (Assuming you're eating a variety of healthy food).

Replies

• fishernd
    fishernd Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering about how people come to plateaus in losing weight. It makes total sense, but how can you stop losing weight if you've got a daily deficit of calories in versus calories out? I would think that as long as you make sure you're eating less than the calories you're burning off over a period of time you would keep losing? (Assuming you're eating a variety of healthy food).
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Your body decides you have lost enough and won't let go of any more. That's why increasing calories helps break it better than decreasing. (Wish I had known this a year ago) Your body already thinks you are killing yourself, slowly wasting away. It likes things to stay the same. Equilibrium. So it puts out hormones and chemicals and halts the losing process so in it's mind you won't die of famine.

Amy:bigsmile:
    118984.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • Chellekk
    Chellekk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Spice things up a bit. Eat different foods. Eat a little more. Work out really hard one day or two. If you're doing the same work out...change it up. Try a no carb day. Try a more fruit day. Just do something different. Shock your body.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    no matter how big you are your body doesn't WANT to lose weight. The body is designed to store fat in case of a period when very little food is avaliable. In other words your body holds onto stored fat like there's no tomorrow! A caloric deficit enables us to burn the stored energy (fat) on our bodies, but as we do so it recognizes this as a bad thing, especially if it occurs quickly. Basically your body thinks it's not getting enough, and will slow down it's processes in order to use less fuel (hence burning fewer calories and temporarily ceasing or slowing weight loss). When you're in a plateau that's lasted more than a few weeks, it's a good idea to up your calories a bit, even temporarily, to rev up your metabolism again.
  • WISHFULTHINKING
    WISHFULTHINKING Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I EAT LESS CALORIES THAN I BURN OFF
    AND WONT LOSE ANYTHING THE WHOLE WEEK BUT THE NEXT MORNING I WAKE UP I LOST 3 POUNDS MAGICALLY LOL