Late Dinner.... Is it ok?...

Options
I didn't know where to post this.. So here I go

My mom (and most people I know) is Always telling me that I shouldn't eat after 7PM. My problem is that DH and I always have dinner together and he works late, 11AM to 7PM, by the time he gets home and ready for dinner it is about 8:15 to 8:30PM. That is the time dinner is served at our house.
My question is, Is there really a reason why people shouldn't eat after 6 or 7PM????

P.S. We do not go to sleep 'til about 1 or 2AM, I think that is enough time to digest my food. What do you think??

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    There is no reason. Your body doesn't turn off at 7
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    you can eat at any time. It is a myth that stopping eating by a certain time is necessary.

As long as what you eat doesn't hinder your sleep (like caffeine, or something that might upset your stomach if you lie down), there is no reason to "cut yourself off" after a certain time.
  • lolomichelle13
    lolomichelle13 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't go to sleep for a good 2-3 hours after you eat, you should be good.
  • Maryfullofgrace
    Maryfullofgrace Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I eat late too. I don't go to bed right away... I don't see a problem with it, plus it keeps me from late night snacking which for me is always sweets.
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I get so frustrated when I hear those "You can't eat after 8pm!!!" sayings. First off, my day doesn't start until 12pm, and I got to bed around 5 or 6am, if I'm lucky. So, I'm going to eat after 7, or 8 or 9..... And I normally eat right before I go to bed anyways. As long as you don't eat anything that makes you feel like you've had a large, heavy meal, you're perfectly fine to eat!
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    There is no reason. Your body doesn't turn off at 7

^ This!
  • el_oso77373
    Options
    No problem, the problem with people eating late is that next if don't do anything that is where it will catch up to. Like a lot of people eat after they party but they wake up with a hangover, and don't do nothing. This is when it is not good for you. But as long as you stay active the next day you will be fine.
  • JoJo_fat2fab
    JoJo_fat2fab Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    you can eat at any time. It is a myth that stopping eating by a certain time is necessary.

As long as what you eat doesn't hinder your sleep (like caffeine, or something that might upset your stomach if you lie down), there is no reason to "cut yourself off" after a certain time.

lol Caffeine makes me sleepy... no coffee or soda for me
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Research I have read indicates it is important for kids not adults. A long as you are at a deficit and comfortable then it is fine. Personally, my "breakfast" is really about noon and I'll eat somethings right before bed, at midnight even. And I get up at 7:40 am.
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't go to sleep for a good 2-3 hours after you eat, you should be good.

I go to sleep almost as soon as I finish eating. I am maintaining a stable weight, and eating that late helps me maintain my weight cause I don't wake up hungry during the night.

All this 'you can't eat at whatever time' stuff - calories matter, not timing.
  • JoJo_fat2fab
    JoJo_fat2fab Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone