What's your calorie limit

Options
Mine's 1200. I am finding it very difficult to stay under the mark and I'm sorry, but I'm not about to exercise three hours a day to do it. I can usually get a couple hundred more back from exercise. I'm hungry and a little depressed and wondering what other people are doing.

Replies

• klewis81
    klewis81 Posts: 122
    Options
    My calorie "limit" is 1670 and I usually have to work out to get a deficit. I usually eat 1800 calories a day. I am set up for 1lb weight loss a week and I know I could not do 2lbs, I would just give up.
  • ABIGgirl
    Options
    Mine is 1200....sometimes I bike on a stationary bike for about 45 mins but other than that I don't have to do much to exercise. I have my diary open to public and have been tracking for about 25-30 days...so far I have lost 6 pounds! You CAN do it, you need to give your stomach time to shrink! All those hunger pains are your stomach shrinking. stick to it for about a week and you should notice yourself being more full and satisfied.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    If 1200 is too low, try increasing it. Your weight loss will be slower but it may be more sustainable.
  • melrbled
    Options
    I lowered mine to 1200 too because I figure I am going to over probably everyday and the lower I shoot for, the lower I will consume. It stinks at first but you will get used to it. Hang in there.
  • melrbled
    Options
    congrats on the weight loss! :)
  • Meghan90795
    Options
    My calories limit is 1500, occasionally i eat back my workout cals. But not usually :D
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I only work out 30-45 minutes and get back 800 calories.
  • Lisa_222
    Lisa_222 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it for almost a month. Just hungry at the moment and kind of tired of feeling this way a lot of the time.
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1220 and I'm very motivated to exercise - even 100 calories more seems to make a difference. At this low range, I make sure I get plenty of protein and fiber - that really helps.
  • SapphoSensei
    Options
    It took me a while to get up to 1200 calories and I was surprised I was under. But I find that by eating 4 times a day and having about 15 g of protein in each meal...plus getting that water in is key. i have lemon in my water first thing to get my metabolism started. I also make sure I have at least one water with electrolytes (smart water is what I use) and I have this in afternoon or right after a workout. Finally I am eating 5 servings of fruit and veggies making sure I get plenty of fiber. When hungry I first have a glass of water then I have some carrots if it is between my 4 meals. Definitely with these changes I can feel my metabolism has improved and that is the key to weight loss. Finally by distributing my food throughout the day more evenly has curbed much of my hunger.
  • KateHubb
    KateHubb Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    1200 is very low and your body may possibly go into starvation mode after awhile. When I first started MFP, I set mine at 1450. I did that for about 3-4 weeks and realized I was not eating enough and never had an energy. I upped it to 1600 and that's where I've been for over 3 months. I think that is a really good number for me and it's amazing what a few extra couple hundred calories can do. I workout 5-6 times a week burning on average 800 calories each time. I usually don't eat my exercise calories back. I think this answer will vary a lot from person to person. Great job on your progress so far!
  • Cathy92
    Cathy92 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it for almost a month. Just hungry at the moment and kind of tired of feeling this way a lot of the time.

Hang in there...My limit is 1200, and at first I was really hungry and would go over a little, but lately the hunger craving is happening less often.
  • mbissey
    mbissey Posts: 25
    Options
    I keep my calorie limit between 1400-1500 on days I don't work out. I up it to 1600-1800 on the days I work out if I burned a bunch of calories. I also have one day a week that I eat about 2000-2200 calories...it's my "free" day. Any day under 1300 calories mean I'm sick, I slept really late and went to bed early or I'm one REALLY cranky person. I lose about a half pound to one and half pounds a week this way.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I started at 1200 but raised it a few months later to 1500 and i love it. I dont feel like i am on a diet. i dont eat back my calories and i am still losing a lb a week. at 1200 i had stopped losing for 1 and 1/2 months.
  • victoriashea
    Options
    Dude I get it. I used to have a limit of 1800 and that seemed SO low at the time. I adapted. At one point (while I was sedentary) I was eating 800 calories a day. Despite what "doctors" tell you, person nutritional value is of greater importance than the actual calorie number. Else, why would 1200 be the limit for a 120 pound person and a 180 pound person on MFP trying to lose weight?? These are blanket-statement numbers. Eat intuitively.
    Oh, and try lower calorie foods. Lower calorie means higher quantity.

Gimme a V-E-G-G-I-E-S what's that spell?!
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Usually people who think their goal is 1200 just set their goals wrong. 1200 is too low for almost everyone --- and less than 1200 will not make you lose weight faster in the long run.

If you're hungry, your best best is to up your protein and lower your carbs. Carbs make you hungry quicker -- protein keeps you full. You also burn more calories when you're protein over burning carbs.

Setting your goals based on weight you need to lose:

75lbs or more: Choose to lose 2lbs/week
    40-75 pounds: Choose to lose 1.5lbs/week
    25-40 pounds: Choose to lose 1lb/week
    15-20 pounds: Choose either 1/2lb or 1lb
    Less than 15/20 pounds: choose 1/2 lb/week

Your daily goals when set correctly already reflect a deficit to lose weight -- so if you exercise, you should eat them back -- or at least half of them. I usually aim for at least half -- to account for errors in the food database and potentially tracking incorrect calories burned (i wear an hrm though)
  • Lisa_222
    Options
    I didn't set the calories, the thing did. I think I'm only doing a pound a week, too. No matter what change I make, the stupid thing still only wants me to have 1200 calories. I think my mother-in-law is behind this somehow.
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Hi Lisa,

Maybe have a think about what you're eating as well as how many calories it has. You could eat 1200 in one meal then be very hungry for the rest of the day! Focus on lean protein and masses of veges and some fruit and whole grains. Drink lots of water. And spread snacks thoroughout the day - I have three snacks a day as well as three meals.

Even 15 - 30 min gentle walking helps your calories for the day and also helps you be fitter and healthier.

Good luck on your journey!
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I didn't set the calories, the thing did. I think I'm only doing a pound a week, too. No matter what change I make, the stupid thing still only wants me to have 1200 calories. I think my mother-in-law is behind this somehow.

How tall are you and what is your current weight?
    What is your goal weight?
  • Lisa_222
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. My diary is public so feel free to pick it apart. I work night shifts so breakfast is sometimes dinner and lunch is sometimes at 3 am. It's a very crazy schedule. I appreciate the input. I know I need more veges and fruits. i also know I have a weakness for mcdonalds breakfast once in awhile. Trying to quit that.

I think I'll keep it at 1200 just so I don't try to push it even further and not feel so guilty if I go over a little. It's a psychological thing.