Question??

Options
This may seem like a silly question. But, I'm going to ask it. I recently joined a gym, and it seems that I burn less calories using the machines ie. elliptical (sp) vs just going on a couple of mile run. It's the same amount of time? So I'm a bit confused.. Maybe this is just normal.

Replies

• yeroc39
    yeroc39 Posts: 55
    Options
    Not a silly question. Running is probably the most calorie buring activity that you can do. Doesn't make it the best, because you have to weight it against how long you can do it, and the impact on your body. But running is totally weight bearing and you need to generate the next step on your own. The elliptical will support your weight and actually help you a small degree and actually requires less effort. So the same time on an ellipitcal or a stationary bike will burn less calories then a run.

You should alternate becasue changing up your routine is critical. Go a little longer on the elliptical, and run the couple of miles on another day. The absolute key to success whether you are trying to change your body, or increase your fitness level is to keep your routine not routine, but constantly changing and challenging your body in different ways. People that don't do that hit a plauteau and don't see any improvement after some initial gains.