How can I get more Protein?

Options
2»

Replies

• AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I eat 300g protein a day, minimum. Here are my go-to foods:

Snacks: hard-boiled eggs, beef jerky, cheese wedges, cheese cubes, almonds.
    Higher-protein veggies: spinach, mushrooms, asparagus.
    Some people use beans, lentils, tofu, and/or peanut butter, those are higher-protein, but they have too many carbs for my diet.
    My George Foreman grill is a lifesaver: throw on a fish filet, shrimp kabobs, chicken breast, pork chops, or steaks.
    Greek yogurt is great, but watch the carbs. If you get plain yogurt you can avoid too many extra sugars, and add your own flavor with a portion of a Crystal Light packet or a scoop of protein powder.
    Protein powder is my other lifesaver. I mix a scoop into my drink at every meal & snack. Again, try to find a version that doesn't have too many carbs.

Oh, and ditch the bars! Most of the time, they're just dressed-up candy bars, some of them have more sugars & carbs than I'm allowed to eat in a day! There are much better ways to get your protein.

Good luck!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Protein powder
    protein bars
    Greek Yogurt
    cottage cheese
    low fat cheeses
    low fat milk
    Edamame
    Tofu
    Tempeh
    legumes
    lean meats
    eggs
    egg whites
    etc.

Love it! I would add some nuts, and definately chic peas and other beans. Best if you cook them and keep the sodium out!
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Fish, fish and more fish

Can't get enough of it and it's packed with essential nutrients, fish-oils etc

Smoked salmon, tuna, haddock, cod, I just lurve FISH :bigsmile:
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    oh i can think of a few creative ways....

I've heard great things about nut butter and the protein it contains.

i puffy heart you and your secretive references... :smokin: :love: :heart:
  • busymnmom
    busymnmom Posts: 133
    Options
    bumpity bump
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    All great ideas above. I also have trouble getting the protein that I need. I try to plan my day so that I get my protein requirements first, then I try to make sure I get all the calcium sources, and then I add in fruits/veggies and whole grains last. I think if you approach it this way, you'll find it much easier to get the protein that you need. Good luck!!
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your ideas- I am definitely going to get some greek yoghurt and protein powder.

Have made it to 92g today - without exercise though and I know that goals increase when you exercise and need to take on more calories. I need to start buying chocolate milk again :)
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    bump.....