How do you eat grits?

Options
gecho
gecho Posts: 426 Member
I'm always trying to find new ideas for breakfast and i CAN NOT:sick: eat eggs so my options end up pretty limited. I discovered i like oatmeal again but i'm getting bored with it so i recently discovered quick grits and my mommy says i'm a weird texan 'cause I like grits with sugar but i also like them with butter, salt & pepper. (apparently i'm not supposed to like it with sugar :tongue: ) but i'm curious How do you eat grits, oatmeal and the like?

Replies

• JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    with a spoon ;) lol try it with a little bit of cheese and spinach :)
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Grits with a little salt and butter. Oatmeal with a little milk and sweetener.

Grits with SUGAR? I hate to say it, but you're a BAD Texan. :tongue:
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    a little bit of low fat butter and some good old salt and pepper.

or add spinach along with some diced ham and sauteed onion/tomato

mmmmmm
  • mandemonious
    mandemonious Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I'm from Georgia and I eat my grits with butter and sugar. Well, I used to anyway :wink:

Now, if I have grits I eat them with eggs...sorry, not trying to rub it in....

Oatmeal I like with smart balance and blueberries or honey...
  • cpegasus01
    cpegasus01 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Southern style! salt and real butter and sometimes cheese! The only way to eat grits lol.
  • EvelynForsyth
    EvelynForsyth Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Lovely americans, what are grits???
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options

This. I thought you were eating the stuff they grit the roads with!
  • icandothistrish85
    Options
    I add sharp cheddar cheese, diced jalapenos, honey & cooked garlic shrimp to mine and have it for lunch or dinner.
  • scubacat
    scubacat Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I love grits but I have avoided them because of the butter and salt. You could try substituting sugar with Truvia which has 0 calories. You could also try one of the very low calorie butter spritzers.

I sweeten oatmeal with Truvia as well. You could also add some frozen blueberries, maybe some cinnamon.....
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    I like grits and salsa with cheese, sometimes I add scrambled eggs to them. If I am desperate I will add ketchup to them. But my mom and I always did grits and stewed tomatoes or salsa with cheese. YUM!
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    lol i like mine with sugar too but i'm not from the south :-P
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Before I started this wonderful lifestyle...I ate them with cheese and butter. Lots. Never, ever, ever with sugar! LOL I like my oatmeal with a little butter and stevia.
  • icandothistrish85
    Options
    Grits are very similar to Cream of Wheat or Malt O Meal. Milled Cereal made from rice.
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I like grits and salsa with cheese, sometimes I add scrambled eggs to them. If I am desperate I will add ketchup to them. But my mom and I always did grits and stewed tomatoes or salsa with cheese. YUM!

Salsa! Now that sounds good! Gonna try that with some eggs too! Thanks for the idea!
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal: Just a little brown sugar, that's it.

Grits: Black pepper and a little bit of butter. Or with hot sauce, cheese, sauteed mushrooms, ham, chives and shrimp. Low country cookin' at its finest!
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options

Grits are a food of American Indian origin common in the Southern United States and mainly eaten at breakfast. They consist of coarsely ground corn, or sometimes hominy................hehe wikipedia baby. Love that site
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Cheddar cheese, some hot salsa, and a little bit of butter.

My sister likes them with American cheese, Nature's Seasoning, and butter and then mixes her eggs in with the grits. I'm a separatist myself, so this doesn't appeal to me. But the grits are pretty good. :)
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I hate grits, but I looove my steel cut oatmeal with honey, peanut butter, almonds or fruit.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I used to do just butter and salt, but then I discovered they are great with a wedge of Laughing Cow cheese and some garlic. Also good with a little butter and eat them with shrimp.

But if you like them with sugar then don't let anyone tell you it's wrong!

Emmydoodles83 you are technically correct, but to be more descriptive, it's a lovely creamy hot cereal that doesn't have much of a taste on its own but can be flavored with just about anything.

As for oatmeal, I cook it nice and thick. Then I pour a separate bowl of milk or cream. Take each spoonful of oatmeal and dip it into the cold milk. I don't put anything in it except a pinch of salt.
  • gecho
    gecho Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Grits with a little salt and butter. Oatmeal with a little milk and sweetener.

Grits with SUGAR? I hate to say it, but you're a BAD Texan. :tongue:

Like i tell my mommy, I'm multicutural:laugh: I'll make it worse, i'm not a fan of pecan pies!