Running Shoes

Options
I am going to buy my first pair today, I am sure it is different for everyone but... I would like to know if anyone has a favorite pair or brand. Nothing to pricey. I usually where stability shoes for kickboxing and other workouts but it seems the shoes are too waffled for running.
I seem to have issues with shin splints so I have been told that it is llikely the shoes, any thoughts?

Replies

• staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    go to running store & let them analyze your feet. this is not the time to "use your best judgement". let the experts help you.
  • MrsRadder
    MrsRadder Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I just joined the ugly shoe club and got those toe shoes. It took me a while to build into them but I have never ran so far without pain!
  • jagman23
    Options
    if you have a local running store, go there and be properly fitted!
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Best advice. Go to a running shoe store and get properly fitted. They will watch the way you walk and run, study your gait, and provide recommendations on the best shoes for your type of arch, how you land on your feet, if you are an over or under pronator, etc. I did this the first time I bought real running shoes, after that I shop on my own knowing what type I need. It makes all the difference in the world. And it will help with your shin splits to get proper fit shoes.
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Find a reputable "running store" and have them watch you run. They will be able to help you figure out what kind of shoe you need, and also give you helpful tips to help correct any issues you might have with your foot strike, over or under pronation,etc which could be part of your shin splint problem. Also- while they may suggest you buy the shoes in there store, don't feel like you have to. If you find a pair that you like- take the name down, and then order them online, it will help save you money! Though I will say for a good pair of running shoes, look to spend some where around $100.
  • mrau719
    mrau719 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    running stores can analyze your gait and recommend a better fit for you. For inexpensive though I got so sauconys that so far I'm in love with :)
  • skinnyquinny84
    skinnyquinny84 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Stupid question...but what's a "running store"? I have shin splints too, so I'm very curious to find a good shoe.
  • adrianneboyd
    adrianneboyd Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I would suggest to go to a place that analyzes your foot pressure as you walk/run and look at those options. Thats what I did, but the best brand is Mizuno...pricey, but they make them for every type of pressure point placement. Check around for stores that will look at how your feet hit.
  • timothyjkiser
    timothyjkiser Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Honestly...going cheap with running shoes can cause more injuries and really bring out the shin splints issue too. Go to a place that will analyze your stride/form and provides the right shoe to keep your stride right (ha no pun intended). Remember...you will be putting MILES on these shoes, just like vehicles need good tires, you need good shoes! Good Luck!
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I got fitted at a running store around here where they do a gait analysis. For my wide feet and overpronation (I think that's what it is - i roll my feet inward as I step) they recommended Brooks shoes and sole inserts that give arch support.

I love those Brooks shoes! I got a pair of Nike running ones from the same store (they were on clearance) and they're nowhere near as comfy and they're already starting to fall apart.
  • davidthomsen
    Options
    In my personal experience (7+ years running fairly regularly when not deployed) with running shoes I have found Asicx *I know I butchered the name* and Nike to be the best of the brands out there. Running shoes really are something that you can't skimp on price wise. From other soldiers I have heard a lot of good things about the 5 toe shoes also, take some getting used to but from all accounts excellent shoes.
  • msc38376
    msc38376 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    :smile: Thanks for posting these shoes. I have the same issue
  • AJDistel
    Options
    Does anyone know of a franchise or store that will do the analysis or are they just local stores that do it?
  • Halothane
    Halothane Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know of a franchise or store that will do the analysis or are they just local stores that do it?

Check to see if you have a Fleet Feet in your area. They are a national company but are also a running store. Otherwise look online for outdoors or athletic stores in your area that focus on running and or are locally owned and know what they are doing. Don't go to ****'s, Sports Authority, etc....it's a waste of your time.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options

Check to see if you have a Fleet Feet in your area. They are a national company but are also a running store. Otherwise look online for outdoors or athletic stores in your area that focus on running and or are locally owned and know what they are doing. Don't go to ****'s, Sports Authority, etc....it's a waste of your time.

I love that D1ck's sporting goods gets censored. *giggles* Thanks for crossing them off my list, I wasn't sure where to go and had thought maybe to start there. But I'll check for somewhere else. Anyone in Colorado have a suggestion?
  • alair1980
    alair1980 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I work part-time at a running store and I definitely recommend going to a place where they know what they're doing. Shoes are the most important thing in your running/exercising wardrobe.

Asics and Adidas generally tend to be a cushier shoe - someone I work with likens them to running on marshmallows. They both are a slightly wider shoe than something like Mizuno or Brooks.

New Balance are a good "go to" shoe as well, but might not have the same level of cushioning in as Asics/Adidas. New Balance are also a wider shoe, even in their regular widths.

Brooks and Mizuno generally tend to be a slightly narrower shoe than the above and are usually a lighter shoe. Brooks have also created a slightly steeper angle up from the toe to promote a faster toe off.

My first runners were Asics (2140's and then Cumulus) and I still love them when I want a more cushioned run, but now I'm more of a Mizuno convert (Precisions).
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a store local to you that analyzes your gait, you can google instructions and do it yourself. The closest store to me that does that is over an hour away, and I'm not making that trip with a special needs 4 year old, in a car with 2 bad tires that needs a new air filter.

I don't have money till payday (next Monday), but I was able to figure out that I have neutral feet. Googled shoes for that and found a list of recommended shoes. Hit Zappos.com and found the recommended ones that are in my price range and put them on my favorites list so I can go back and decide which one I want when I get paid. Since zappos has a 1 year return policy, I can run in them on a nice day, and if they don't feel right, I can ship them back and get a different pair.