Is your workplace diet friendly?

Options

Replies

• jollyholly1024
    jollyholly1024 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My workplace is definitely not diet friendly! I work at Dominos as a delivery driver so I am in and out of my car with pizzas all of the time. On top of that people bring in doughnuts and cookies! It sometimes gets difficult but I just chew lots of gum.I mean like lots of gum lol
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Yes and No, We have a fridge stocked with candy pop and schwan's food like breakfast pizza's, hot wings, pancake on stick etc. But I bring my food or buy stuff that is healthy as well, like cheese sticks, veggies, and ranch. Hummus. Ect. So yes there is junk, but we're going to be faced with Junk food for the rest of our lives, better start now.
  • jmeeej
    jmeeej Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Not in the slightest.

Every day there are donuts, cookies, or muffins sitting on a counter because someone brought them in the be nice.

People also think I'm crazy when I eat a bowl full of tuna or am peeling hard-boiled eggs into my garbage can. LOL. At the company BBQ's I get strange looks when I as for my burger without the bun.
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I use it to my advantage. When I craving homemade brownies (I make them from scratch) I make them and eat one and then bring the rest to the office. Everyone loves me and I only consume one brownie instead of the whole pan.

But yeah it's terrible. They know I'm being careful about what I eat and one of my co-worker purposely brought in peanutbutter M&M's cause he knew I wouldn't be able to say no to those. But I limited myself to 2 servings.
  • worldgirl28
    Options
    I've found that with proper planning, you can even fight off the office temptations. For example, I was rushing to work one morning and grabbed a Lean Cuisine (butternut squash ravioli) to pop in the microwave at work (normally I make an omlette with EggBeaters and bell peppers). When I got there, the break room was packed because it was someone's birthday & they had doughnuts and bagels. I scooted my way in to the microwave to make my breakfast and as soon as I took it out and put it on a plate, everyone was staring enviously at me! They all asked me what I was eating and commented on how good it smelled. Even later in the day, people were saying how they should've thought to bring a frozen meal for breakfast so they could avoid the carb caravan that usually populates the break room.

Plan, plan, plan! And it helps me to keep Altoids at my desk any time candy is around. I pop one in my mouth and the thought of eating candy with that overpowering minty taste just turns me off.
  • CanuckLove
    CanuckLove Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    My work sucks too LOL
    Plus I travel a lot with it and they supply us lunches and its always the worst, most fatning foods ever. I find it a real struggle :(
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    No, we have no kitchen, fridge, microwave or kettle etc., just a water dispenser and a hot drinks machine.
  • GwynnBochanan
    GwynnBochanan Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My workplace there is constantly donuts and my neighbor brings mini candies to put at his desk also there are vending machines everywhere. What I have started to do is bring my lunch including a few apples with me to work. Everytime I find my resolve wavering I eat an apple, after the apple I feel satisfied and can get back to work.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I work in a k-12 school in America. need I say more?
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    The room that I work in has a bowl of chocolate candy always, not just for Halloween. It is where the stressed out teachers come for a piece of candy. I bring all my food for the day since I work another job when I'm through here. I have plenty of healthy things with me to eat so I don't get tempted. I can't eat one piece of candy and I'm doing to good to mess up now.
  • voluptuous_veggie
    voluptuous_veggie Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    We have the occasional cake or donuts brought in, but for the most part, it's a very healthy environment...but then again, I work in the nutritional center of a hospital! We always are having healthy competitions that involve food and exercise, and are always receiving additional benefits if we participate, etc. We even have our own CSA farm that provides employees with a weekly box full of fresh, organic fruits and veggies. I love where I work!
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    I work at a doctors office and it is definitely not diet friendly, especially during holiday seasons. But my coworkers are diet friendly and never offer me anything bad, and if they get me a treat it's usually something small or it's not food. They never pressure me to eat anything either so that helps.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I usually look at junk food and think, "19 lbs lost by NOT eating this" It just doesn't seem worth it anymore. :)
  • jah7700
    jah7700 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Yes... There is no deli / restaurant / food cart, so as long as I eat what I bring for lunch and don't give in to going out I'm pretty much forced to stay on my diet.
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Nope. They order alot of pizza, and occasionally cake and many other places that aren't exactly healthy. It was tough at first, but I finally managed to just say 'No' to it all.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Yes! Our cafeteria is amazingly healthy. Best salad bar I've ever seen, everything made from scratch... I love the food at work. And it's really how it should be, considering I work for a cancer research center.
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    My office is OK.

We have a communal kitchen so people tend to either buy their lunch locally (sarnies and pasta salads), eat out our buy ready meals / soups etc that go in the microwave.

People don't tend to leave many 'tempting' things laying around, it's normally just things like salad stuff / humous etc

We used to have a tuck shop with crips and choccie but now we get a weekly delivey of fruit.

People bring in cakes on Birthdays and special occasions. Occasionally peole bring in sweets for no apparant reason LOL!

Occasionally we'll have a company wide lunch which will be take away (pizza or Chinese)

On the whole we're a pretty healthy bunch.
  • smashatoms
    smashatoms Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Not in the least.
    We have pizza Friday's, which is when everyone orders their OWN pizza.
    On top of it my boss has a drawer full of candy and snacks that she is always offering me.
    It breaks my heart to turn down a perfectly delicious Twizzler every day!

You gotta do, whatcha gotta do!
  • erd2011
    erd2011 Posts: 15
    Options
    I work with a staff of predominantly men, so no surplus of baked goods brought from home.

In general, yes, mine is diet-friendly. Everybody provides their own beverages and food except for the very occasional Saturday a.m. meeting (maybe once a year, someone will bring donuts to the meeting). Around Christmas, clients start bringing in goodies but not as much as they used to.
  • Dona_Maria
    Dona_Maria Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I work in an office, so naturally there is A LOT of food pushing going on. I just tell myself, "NO" I have to learn there will be a lot of unhealthy food and I have to learn to live with it. We have potlucks every month, donuts, bagels, weekly, things people are trying to get rid of every other day. You just have to learn to resist; I want to lose weight therefore I will NO eat junk food on a regular bases.