HELP - Best way to avoid "After-Dinner" snacking

Options
MDLNH
MDLNH Posts: 587 Member
I could really use some suggestions, ideas and tips on how to avoid the dreaded "after-dinner" snacking . . .

What are some things that you use or do ?

* * I've been thinking of adding some additional "light" exercise at home, but I also need to be able to enjoy and spend time w/ my family, which can center around watching a family TV program or an inside game now w/ the weather getting colder.

Thanks !!!!

Replies

• beccala18
    beccala18 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Try brushing your teeth or chewing gum - it will make most foods taste bad. Or keep some veggies handy for that time of the night and prelog them so you know it fits into your day.
  • AllieK1030
    Options
    brush your teeth and stay busy!! Also, I know eating a protein full dinner helps me stay fuller longer so I am not laying in bed awake thinking about how hungry I am haha. I bought Babel light cheese, soooooo good and only 50 calories! When I am dying to go into the fridge, I grab one and walk away.
  • jagspal
    jagspal Posts: 75
    Options
    I find this to be my week part of the day also, I try to drink hot tea or go to bed when I am tired. Good Luck!
  • chrissaucier
    chrissaucier Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I brush my teeth, usually don't like to eat aftewards
  • ecmcnamee
    ecmcnamee Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers string cheese ... 50 calories a piece ... and a HUGE glass of water. Stay busy .. go for a walk, etc. etc. The after dinner stuff gets me sometimes too ... lots of willpower!
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I've found that having some sort of routine for after dinner helps with the snacking. I've started drinking herbal tea and one square of dark chocolate after dinner. After that, the kitchen is closed.
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Can you allocate your calories better throughout the day to allow for a small PLANNED after dinner snack?
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Save calories for a snack
  • sunnyrunner23
    sunnyrunner23 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    That's my toughest time too! I shut the kitchen down, clean up, run the dishwasher and turn off the lights in that room. Then I sit and snuggle on the couch with the kids and the cat!

I used to save up enough calories for a bowl of popcorn for that time of day but I am trying to get away from the sodium.
  • tmiqueen
    tmiqueen Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    If you're eating because you're honestly hungry, then find some low-fat/low-cal snacks to keep around for those moments. Make sure you're drinking plenty of water in the evenings. I was able to curb some of the cravings by sipping from a water bottle. Just the act of hand-to-mouth was enough.

If you're eating because you're bored, well you'll need to find something to distract you.

For me, I don't seem to crave it until I walk by it and see it...then it seems to CALL to me. In that case, keep the foods out of sight.

Or, instead of sitting around the boob tube, involve your family in some sort of active game (there are bazillions of ideas online). That way, you get activity AND family time!
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I think light work outs are a great idea... or do the laundry then, washing up, chores. Exercise is an appetite supresant. I found myself not having a morning snack at all, or lunch at normal time (I ate later a small lunch instead) today as I was doing exercise and it didn't even bother me! Not even a growl from the stomach! I was thirsty though! Have water if you're feeling peckish. Remember it's all in the mind. Having lots of water / fluids at dinner too may help as well as a cup of green tea. I'd advise a small carbo load snack about 40mins-1hour before bed that's already factored in to your daily calories. It's good for your mental health to feed your brain with sugars/carbs before sleep /during sleep as the energy in your blood from that will be going to the brain (I had sleep troubles and ended up seeing a shrink who just helped me look at my lifestyle!-a hungry animal doesn't sleep, he wants to hunt, a freshly fed beast falls asleep!) I found this really helped. So long as I wasn't going over my calories by having it, I still have lost weight so don't believe any of the "eat late and you'll get fat" rubbish. It's all badly interpreted statistics!

MIND OVER MATTER! Eventually you'll get a good eating routine :)

Val x
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Save calories for a snack

^ This. You can additionally shift more of your calories towards evening. I will routinely eat the majority of my calories between 5 and 9pm.
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Can you allocate your calories better throughout the day to allow for a small PLANNED after dinner snack?

I do this! I also keep carbs and protein balanced. Too many carbs in the evening meal without enough protein with them leaves me munchy late at night or ravenous by morning.
  • EmpressPat
    Options
    I keep low calorie ice cream treats in the freezer that have about 35 calories each: fudge bars and popsicles. And it satisfies my desire for something good and sweet and for only a few calories. And, if you drink a big glass of water when the first pangs hit you, that'll help too.
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    We usually eat dinner late, but I often have a post-dinner snack. I just plan for it....because I know it's going to happen :)
  • workerbee2011
    workerbee2011 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    After dinner is such a hard time of the day...I've found pre-logging a snack works well - I usually have a couple of spoons of low fat yoghurt.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee or tea!
  • mischyfishy
    Options
    I plan for a small "late night" snack in the evenings because I know I'll need it. Often I keep grapes in the freezer and only take out one at a time so that even if I have 20 grapes as my snack, I have to go from the couch to the kitchen every time I want one. I find frozen grapes take longer to eat and they feel like more of a sweet dessert than a fruit.
  • fatty2fabby
    fatty2fabby Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    like others have said brush your teeth! really does help or whenever you feel a bit of hunger going on then go for some water or tea/ coffee
  • MDLNH
    MDLNH Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Lots of great suggestions and ideas - Thanks !!!!

* and keep them coming . . .