need advice logging workouts...

Options
I'm doing a workout DVD set called Bridalicious Boot Camp. a typical workout is a 5 min warmup, then 3 15minutes sets, and a 5min cool down. Each set is 2-3 minutes of 5 different resistance exercises (rows, shoulder presses, planks, pushups, squats, lunges etc) and then a 3-5min "cardio blast" at the end.

and I have no clue how to log this. I do the strength exercises for a block of time, not a certain number of reps, so I don't know how to add them.

and the cardio... I don't want to add "1 min jumping jacks" "1 min high knee jog" etc for 15 different things a day...

so I've been calling it "45 min interval training"... do you think that's accurate?

I don't know anything about p90X or 30 day shred- but I assume they're sort of similar?
How do you log those things?

i just don't want to cheat and log that I'm burning a million calories when I'm totally not.

thanks!!

Replies

• Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    The only way to know for sure is to get a HRM with a chest strap. Polar has the best ones (used to work with them) and they are the cheapest on Amazon. After you figure out the cals log it in your journal that way it's always there to select in the list.
  • valeriegee
    Options
    I've had a similar issue with doing Body Pump at the gym. I ended up putting it in under cardo as "strength training" I think - and I hope it's fairly accurate. I've decided the next time I go to class I'm going to wear my constant heart rate monitor, and see how many calories IT thinks I've burned, and see how close it is to what MFP thinks I burn in the same amount of time.

Good luck!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    My first thought was circuit training. Interval training is usually short bursts (20 seconds) and then short rests (10 seconds) of intense work. If you are giving your all during these camps, and really feel like it is as intense as it gets, then interval training might be the right choice :)
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    Sounds like Circuit training to me. But yes, get an hrm, and get the accurate calories burned from it.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    yeah best if you want to be real accurate would be hrm.

without that i would say what your logging as seems pretty accurate by what you are describing
  • alexroet
    alexroet Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    sorry! you're right! i am calling circuit training, not interval. B/c just like you said, interval is super intensity cardio- which this is, but not the whole time. I'll look into hrm. Are they expensive?
  • pattiann603
    Options
    i cannot say enough amazing things about my heart rate monitor, especially because i do a lot of circuit workouts similar to what you are describing. it let me know just how hard i'm working, and i use it to push myself when i'm slacking. the numbers don't lie!
  • pandora520
    pandora520 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've invested into FitBit (http://www.amazon.com/Fitbit-Ultra-Wireless-Activity-Tracker/dp/B005PUONKS/ref=dp_ob_title_hpc). It is a tiny calorie tracking device that can tell you with certain degree of accuracy how many calories you are burning during any activity or any time you wear it. It is really easy to use and has a bunch more useful features. It costs $99 at 24 Hour Fitness or you can buy one on Amazon. Then you don't have to worry about which excercise you are logging, just log your calories burnt :)
  • mroper
    mroper Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I've invested into FitBit (http://www.amazon.com/Fitbit-Ultra-Wireless-Activity-Tracker/dp/B005PUONKS/ref=dp_ob_title_hpc). It is a tiny calorie tracking device that can tell you with certain degree of accuracy how many calories you are burning during any activity or any time you wear it. It is really easy to use and has a bunch more useful features. It costs $99 at 24 Hour Fitness or you can buy one on Amazon. Then you don't have to worry about which excercise you are logging, just log your calories burnt :)

I also have a fitbit but it doesnt take your heart rate into consideration. It counts steps and based on your age and weight that you entered on the website shows the calories you have burned based on your BMR and your steps. I love mine but would also love to have a HRM for things like treadmill, elliptical, and cardio classes as fitbit isnt always accurate for those things.
  • alexroet
    alexroet Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone! polar HRM watch ordered! Will keep logging as circuit training in the meantime...
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    You could always log it as "sauna time."