Hi, my paleo diet people!!!!! Quick question:

Options
Were you a sweet tooth or carbs person? I was a carbs addicts!!!!!!! ( pasta, rice, burritos, 100% whole wheat bread and potatoes<<<<< that's why I gained the weight)Do you miss carbs now? I don't, I find it repulsive. Why? because I know what it turns into once it enters my body, it tastes V ERY good but it doesn't have great nutritional value. Plus....my body is my temple,right??? :) I am feeling good, feeling great and can't weight til I lose this weight and start enjoying life again!!! :)

Replies

• TattooedMommy427
    TattooedMommy427 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I was both! Sweets and carbs! I miss sweets, I'm fine without bread/pasta.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    SUGAR!!! In the form of CANDY!!! I'm still having issues even after 5 months. I gave up bread first and don't miss it at all. Grains were easy as pie to give up, too. I had sacrificed most of them to make sure I got my veggies and fruit when I was counting calories. But sugar is an issue. I can't even keep honey in the house right now. It sucks. Sugar is a drug and the cravings are intense sometimes. Not as bad as they used to be but I still get them.

But it will be worth it in the long-term. I won't have cabinets full of pill prescriptions like my mom and dad!! And huge medical bills in my retirement!
  • mj_zepeda
    mj_zepeda Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    This is my 3rd week doing PRIMAL-PALEO. I am not craving bread or wheat anymore. I do crave sweets though.. specially when TOM is around hehe. I have fallen of the wagon sometimes... but in general have been doing good with the low carb! I gave in to pizza last weekend.. and I am still fighting the consequences.... Bloated belly.... so, I know that really WHEAT is the cause of all it and then you just think, it's not worth given in for a slice of pizza. I am trying to look for different recipes though! I like variations... the same thing all the time just turns it into a routine.. so I have to start looking for primal-lowcarb recipes!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Grains are my hardest to give up. I love pasta, rice and oatmeal.

I could have those when I was on Atkins (later part of Phase 2) but after reading about the risks and dangers associated with the inflammation that grains does to your body over time it is getting easier to give them up.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    Sugar addict here.

Eating too much of it makes me feel bad and takes a couple of days to recover from so it's a good deterent from overdoing it. That's not to say I don't have any sugar but it's FAR less than what I used to consume and I am satisfied with less-sweet things than I used to be.
  • jmeeej
    jmeeej Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Used to be a candy-monster

swedish berries
    cherry blasters
    fuzzy peaches
    sour soothers

........but I can honestly say that I don't really miss that crap anymore.
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I used to have a terrible sweet tooth, and LOVED bread/pasta. Now, about 6 mos of a fairly primal diet, I don't miss any of it, and I don't crave it anymore, either. I still have some bread or chips or chocolate from time to time, but I find that as long as it fits into my diary, the cravings don't come back. I'm so glad to be free from that!
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I've had to be gluten free since 2006 so for me it's sugar! I was a chocoholic and I love gummy bears, jelly beans and things like that.
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I've been paleo for about 6 months I don't miss breads or pastas but I crave dark chocolate.. especially TOTM..
  • ahmedlogic
    ahmedlogic Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    A sweet tooth is dangerous as I can tell form experience. I don't crave it anymore, as long as I'm not having any in the first place. But once you do get a taste for it - even if it's just one too many apples in a day, that's when you start getting that same sweet tooth back (the same one who eventually drove you to join this site).
  • kerriknox
    kerriknox Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    sugar!!!
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Pasta! I pretty much subsisted on pasta through my entire 20's. Been Paleo/Primal for about 4 weeks now and I don't crave it at all. Spaghetti squash is a good pasta sub for me. I still indulge in a small square of dark chocolate on workout days....
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Used to be a candy-monster

swedish berries
    cherry blasters
    fuzzy peaches
    sour soothers

........but I can honestly say that I don't really miss that crap anymore.

Yep. I honestly can't say I USED to be since I'm still dealing with that monster. I love my sweet & sour gummy savers (love all my sour candies) but I can't just have a few. NO - I have to eat the entire BIG bag of them.
  • mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Why don't carbs have good nutritional value? They power my workouts.
  • Grokette
    Options

Excuse any typos, i am typing on my phone......

All carbs are not bad.

Specifically speaking, grains and legumes are the worst due to the phytates that are anti-nutrients. Phytates keep the body from absorbing the vitamins and minerals and also lead to oxidation in the blood stream which contributes to the inflammation that causes heart and cardiovascular diseases.
  • mynameisuntz
    Options

All carbs are not bad.

Specifically speaking, grains and legumes are the worst due to the phytates that are anti-nutrients. Phytates keep the body from absorbing the vitamins and minerals and also lead to oxidation in the blood stream which contributes to the inflammation that causes heart and cardiovascular diseases.
    How come lots of RCTs performed in humans show the benefits of grains, though?
  • Grokette
    Options

All carbs are not bad.

How come lots of RCTs performed in humans show the benefits of grains, though?

Because they are government funded and the results come out to be what is going to favor the bigger agenda.
  • mynameisuntz
    Options
    Because they are government funded and the results come out to be what is going to favor the bigger agenda.
    Even the studies done in Japan, Saudi Arabia, European countries, etc.?

That's not a rational argument to defy the dozens of studies performed that show the benefits of grain.
  • Emma1903
    Emma1903 Posts: 195
    Options
    I still crave both sometimes, but I substitute rice with cauliflower rice now, don't eat any grains any more, and it's crazy that I still crave them as I feel so much better without them, as a sweet treat I will have some very dark chocolate now or a chocolate protein shake with a little bit of peanut butter is the best! When you are going for a lower calorie diet you really realise how many calories you used to waste on grains. So it's easy to replace them with nutrient dense veg because you can have loads of veg in replacement for the same calories as grains it's crazy!