Losing faster than MFP goal

Options
So, I know the question of, what should I set my goals at, or how much should I aim to lose per week have been asked before. I also know that people will look at the title of this and say, you're losing fast, awesome, no complaining.

Background: When I started in June, I had 64-84 lbs to lose, depending on what I think is a healthy goal weight. I set MFP to a 1lb/wk loss rate. Most days I netted about 100 cals under that goal, so I guess my true deficit was around 4200 cals/wk, or 1.2lb/wk deficit. I've lost at a rate of 2lbs/wk. I started eating all of my calories (not netting -100 from goal) in August, and also just bumped my calories yup by another 100 per day two weeks ago (so now I am set at 0.8lb.wk loss). Still averaging 1.8 lb/wk loss with only 20-40 left to lose.

I know as you get closer to goal, you are supposed to slow down your rate of loss. My question is, if I have my goals set appropriately, but lose faster than that, is that bad? Should I keep bumping up my cals by 100 per week until I get down to a 1 lb/wk loss rate?

Replies

• fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I may be wrong, but I think that if you are eating healthy and working out okay then don't worry about it. When I first started I was eating 1200 (healthy) calories a day to the T and no exercise. I was losing on average 4-7 pounds a week. Then it started to taper off and now I'm having to exercise and eat more.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I would say go with what you are doing. Your body will let you know if it becomes too much. Make sure you are getting plenty of protein and doing your strength training to help retain your lean muscle mass.

It isn't bad at all. MFP's goal is just a number. Your body will make the necessary changes when the time comes.
  • ncole3
    ncole3 Posts: 164
    Options
    As long as you are eating healthy and getting regular exercise...you should be proud of your loss.
  • SailingMike
    SailingMike Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Stop bragging... geesh... lol

Congratulations on your success!
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    MFP may underestimating your caloric needs. If you desire to lose 1 lb per week, just try bumming it up until you get the desired lose, as you proposed. If you are happy with your weight loss rate, continue your routine.

Congrats on your weight loss so far
  • Fatbuster205
    Fatbuster205 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Wow what a great dilema! I suppose the only thing I would say is that if you lose weight too quickly you are more prone to putting it back on. I guess you just need to try it out and see but I don't think you are losing too much!
  • watergirl626
    watergirl626 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I just don't want it to come back later. I exercise most days, have taken up running. I eat a lot of protein and generally healthy (maybe a little high on sodium with dinners due to spice mixes). I upped my calls by 100/day because I was feeling a little dizzy at times, but now that's gone, so I guess I'll just keep listening to my body.

I know everyone loses differently, I just want to make sure I am doing this right. I almost feel like I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop....
  • Sonchie
    Sonchie Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    as long as its working keep doing what your doing. Calorie counts and burns arent always exact so you are either eating less calories or more likely burning more than you think. Keep up the good work!
  • GouchisGirl
    GouchisGirl Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Keep up the good work. Everyones body metabolises differently and you may just be one of those lucky people that can shed extra pounds quicker then others. :) Mine is also set at 1lb a week and I've lost 5 lbs in the last 2 weeks, but it may slow down, who knows. I think if you are eating healthy I would just keep doing what you are doing. Different things work for different people. :)
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I viewed your food diary....your doing great...so no worries...just watch your sodium every now and then...as that could trigger water retention..but other than that...I don't see anything wrong with what your doing...keep up the great work...And yes, your body will tell you when it decides to slow down, but for now enjoy your success, its obviously working for you! :wink:
  • ohthelawd
    ohthelawd Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Good advice above. Your body is the best measure of what's right, not MFP. As was stated, be sure you're not skimping on protein, though. As you approach your goal (or what your body feels is your optimum weight), your loss will start to taper off and you will plateau. Trust me. It may even get frustrating, but you have to push through it. When people talk about the dangers of losing weight too fast, they're really talking about crash dieting, overtraining, etc. If you are eating healthy, exercising reasonably, and are losing weight, you're doing it right. Even if you are losing faster than what this site estimates you should be losing. Best of luck to you!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I agree with the people who say, as long as you're eating healthy and feel good, don't sweat it. Odds are the losses will slow down as you get closer to your goal....and if its doesn't, that that's even better!

Also, unless you're planning to return to previous bad habits that led you here in the first place, don't let people try to convince you that losing too fast will lead to failure and you'll gain it back. Your new healthy lifestyle won't allow that to happen!
  • kendernau
    kendernau Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I agree...if you are losing faster than MFP says you should, there are a few things that might be happening.

1. MFP's goals are based on general guidelines...your body may have a higher BMR than MFP is calculating, so you are burning more calories at rest, and you can bump your calories up until you are losing weight at your desired rate.

2. If you are exercising, make sure you are accounting for this in your calorie goals - either make sure you are adding the exercise calories back in, or adjust your activity level in the goals to reflect a more active lifestyle, so MFP adjusts your goals up.

3. You may be miscalculating calories in or calories out. If you are underestimating the amount of calories burned due to exercise, or overestimating your portions, this can lead to a larger deficit than you think - and the higher lose rate.

Regardless, if you are eating healthy, and feel good, you should be just fine - I don't think you need to change anything unless you feel the need to do so.
  • watergirl626
    watergirl626 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    When people talk about the dangers of losing weight too fast, they're really talking about crash dieting, overtraining, etc. If you are eating healthy, exercising reasonably, and are losing weight, you're doing it right. Even if you are losing faster than what this site estimates you should be losing. Best of luck to you!

Thank you for this. This helps a lot, knowing that when people say don't lose too fast, they are typically referring to unhealthy weight loss. This nailed it on the head for me.

And thank you to rachel for looking at my food diary (ice cream and all. haha). Calories out, I have a HRM and I do log all my exercise, including very slow strolls with my 2 y/o. Calories in, I may be overestimating. When I eyeball portions, they do tend to be less than when I actually measure out...