Maintenace?!

Options
So I had my monthly assessment with my trainer this morning. Weighed 119 with a body fat % of 15.5! WOW. So my trainer said I don't need to lose any more weight. I need to eat more. WHAT?! Ok, yes I know I need to stop losing weight but it seriously scares the crap outta me to think about eating at a maintenance level! I have worked so hard for over a year to lose 45 lbs and don't want to gain it back! Was anyone else scared about maintaining but is now? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    So I had my monthly assessment with my trainer this morning. Weighed 119 with a body fat % of 15.5! WOW. So my trainer said I don't need to lose any more weight. I need to eat more. WHAT?! Ok, yes I know I need to stop losing weight but it seriously scares the crap outta me to think about eating at a maintenance level! I have worked so hard for over a year to lose 45 lbs and don't want to gain it back! Was anyone else scared about maintaining but is now? Any suggestions? Thanks!

I agree with your trainer based on your stats. Maintenance level won't make you fat in the least. The only thing even REMOTELY scary about maintenance is that it's difficult to do accurately--- but in the long term that fact is irrelevant, you can always make minor adjustments to your intake to account for any inaccuracies.

Congrats on your progress and listen to your trainer, and enjoy the extra calories.
  • JaniseCookston
    JaniseCookston Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I will be starting on maintenance at the beginning of November and I am nervous too :(
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Congratulations you have done an amazing thing.

Yes!!! It is a little scary. I increased my calorie intake slowly over the course of a month. I was only at a .5 deficit so I added 50 calories a week to my daily intake. I lost a little more the first two weeks but gained that back in the next three weeks. And I've held pretty steady for almost a year.

One more suggestion, hang onto one pair of your old pants. On days when you are feeling scared and "fat", even though you still weight your goal weight, put on the old pants. It's a great reminder and very important.

Good luck on your journey, the first 6 months of maintenance are strange and difficult-ish. Full of ups and downs that you have to ride through.