HELP ME :/

Options
2»

Replies

• JasonD334
    JasonD334 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    My best advice would be to pace yourself. You will do more harm then good if you try to jump right into a heavy workout routine, because to this point your body is not accustomed to it. For the first month you need to concentrate on your diet, and be sure you are exercising in some capacity 30mins a day, 3-5 days a week. Allow your body the time it needs to start getting stronger, and use to the physical activity, and then you can ramp it up in the coming months. -- You've got a great goal of 130lbs, and here's a secret, you CAN do it! What you need to remember along your journey is that it took a while to put on the extra 130, so it's going to take a while to remove it. This is the real world (and not the MTV kind), so it's going to take your best effort, and it may not come as fast as we see on TV, but here again YOU CAN DO IT. --- If you only remember one thing from this thread, please remember this. You control the effort, not the results. You need to be proud of your efforts DAILY, and do all you can do to get yourself to a healthier place. I promise you that the results will come, but your success isn't tied to any specific number. It's tied to your efforts, and what you are doing to give yourself the life you deserve.

Good luck, and we can't wait to see your progress along the way!
  • pristinebutterfly
    Options
    Your gym should offer a free introductory personal training session. Chat with the person at the front desk to set up an appointment. During the appointment, the trainer should go over the basics with you during your appointment and show you the proper form to use on both the weight and cardio equipment. The trainer should also create a beginner's workout routine for you, but if he doesn't, ask him to. As you workout more, you'll start to learn how to create your own training schedule and even create your own weight lifting routine. If, for some reason, your gym does not offer a free intro training session, you may want to talk to the manager and tell him you're considering "buying" personal training, but want to see if it's the right option before you spend any money. Ask for the training manager...not the sales manager or the general manager. (I have a ton of insider info because I worked in the fitness industry for 10 years when I was younger...:))

Another idea, if your gym refuses to give you a free PT session is to go online and Google beginner's gym workouts. There's a plethora of information on how to use proper form and tons of beginner's workout routines you can print out and use based on your fitness goals.

Hope this helps and good luck!
  • looneytoni
    Options
    If its been a while since u've (please forgive my shorthand) last worked out then you should start off slow. You dont want to get all Gung-ho and make urself sore and unable to move for three days. Then ur back to where u started, and if u keep this up u wont make any progress.

Always warm up. When you walk into the gym, start on the treadmill, 10 mins at a normal walking pace. Depending on ur fitness level, either continue with the treadmill (if you havent worked out in a while) but picking up the pace and perhaps the incline, or jump on the elliptical machine (if the treadmill isnt enough of a challenge). The nice thing about the elliptical is that u can set the step height and increase as u become a pro at it.

I would do this for a week, untill ur body became used to it and then start mixing it up with circuit (i'm a bad spell too) training, like maybe every other day, or daily but pick upper or lower body to work on. Always give the muscle group 24-48hrs to rest after working it out. Most gyms arrange their circuit training equipment by upper or lower body objective.

You could always higher a personal trainer for a few weeks to run you thru some routines you could do for a while. Consistancy is the key.

If you've ever tried to dig a hole in the sand near the water line, you know you have to move pretty fast to keep the whole from filling up with water and the sides sliding back in and filling up your hole. And you'd have nothing to show for your efforts.

Working out is very simular. If you dont keep at it, you'll just slide backwards and will have nothing to show for your efforts, so keep with it and it wont be long before u reach ur goal!
  • scorpiogirl100
    Options
    Start with the treadmill or eliptical...I like the treadmill myself...thats what helped me..I started slow 20 min now I'm up to 40 minutes of brisk walking...and people may think I am crazy...but I wear a long sleeve hoodie while I'm walking so I'll sweat more...and it's really paying off!!!! then work your way up to strength traing abs..legs..arms...butt etc ...hope this helps...good luck in you journey!!! :wink:
  • tmiqueen
    tmiqueen Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I know that at our local Anytime Fitness, you get a free personal trainer for the first three months. They write up an exercise program for you and help you track your measurements and fitness levels. They show you proper form as well. Then you're on your own after that.
  • heatherlovesmk09
    heatherlovesmk09 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, this all is very helpful!
  • maura5880
    maura5880 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I know you say you're motivated by I Used to Be Fat (I am too, awesome show!), however it's similar to Biggest Loser--they work out around the clock & maintain a super strict diet. The show from last night isn't really similar to what people accomplish in real life, that kid did nothing all summer but sweat in the gym w/a trainer constantly by his side. I don't know many people who have the time to spend in the gym, or the money for a trainer to be constantly w/them.

I'd start out slow, walking, jogging...try all the cardio equipment at the gym and see what you prefer. Anything that gets your heart rate up is gonna be good for you :) Just don't set yourself up for failure by thinking you're gonna do in one summer what a kid on TV did..
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    as a start i'd recommend the eliptical or the arc trainer - i find that you get a great workout and they seem to be (at least for me) easier on the knees etc.

if you plan on doing weights, i'd recommend 5 min cardio to warm up, then your weights then your cardio workout.
  • msbinyard
    Options
    They best thing to do is to do what you feel is right for you, but at least get and hour of cardio and strength train 3 times a day. I like to jog myself but doing 20mins on the treadmill, 20 mins on the ellipitcal and 20 on the bike worked out for me in the beginning.