vegetarians--how much protein do you get?

Options
There's another thread about protein, where most people seem to be getting over 100g of protein a day. I'm semi-veg (I eat fish a couple of times a week, occasionally some chicken; very rarely anything else...) and most days get around 30-40...if I eat chicken or fish it's a bit higher.

What are your numbers usually like?

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    not a veg, but i'd def try to get more than that.

i get over 40 in one meal.
    I'd at least shoot for 100.
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I'm a lacto-ovo veg (i.e. dairy and eggs are okay, but no fish or chicken or anything) and I tend to get between 65 and 100 - probably my average is high 70s, but I'm trying to aim higher. Mostly this is from tempeh, black beans, chick peas, whole wheat pasta, tofu, eggs, cheese, etc.
  • renusethi
    Options
    Hi I am a complete lacto-vegetarian, so no fish/poultry. If I don't watch my diet I am like what u mentioned maybe 50 gms max. But I try to make sure that I add a lot of soy such as tofu, beans and protein shake to bring mine upto abt 100 gms atleast. Thats still nowhere what I need as per my weight(130 gms) but its better than what I was having earlier. So yeah need to really add those shakes and protein bars for additional protein.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Bear in mind a *lot* of protein rich foods in this calculator thingummy on here don't show up as containing protein. (For example, I added quinoa the other day, and didn't get a protein add for it. And proteins in veg often doesn't show)

That said, I tend to make, or slightly exceed the MFP averages. I generally make sure I have some protein with each meal, and some protein as a snack. e.g. seeds for breakfast, nuts with lunch, beans with dinner.
  • maura5880
    maura5880 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Usually around 50g of protein a day. I don't eat meat, but I do eat dairy so I get a lot of protein from: milk, egg whites, Greek yogurt(so much protein), rice cheese, string cheese..and other than dairy, I eat Morningstar "chicken", the occasional protein bar, etc.. I find that I get plenty of protein in my diet :)
  • javamonster
    javamonster Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    65-100....I'll get 65 with regular food, and over 100 when I have a smoothie thanks to soy protein.