HRM Question

Options
I have a polar F11 HRM. I want to know if by wearing it all day today the calories burned are correct.

In 12 hours (9am-9pm) it says I burned 1545 calories.
I did not exercise today.
It was a typical day (without exercise) Computer time, cleaning house, errands-haircuts/shopping with kids, cooking, girl scout leader tonight.

If I cut 500 calories out of that I would barely be over 1000 which I know is not true. I also know you would continue to burn calories the other 12 hours even with sleep. So how do you know where you should be?

I keep stalling and I have had it at both 1200 calories a day and at 1400 calories a day. Neither of which helped much.

Thanks for any advice!:flowerforyou:

Shelly

Replies

• shellyws
    shellyws Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have a polar F11 HRM. I want to know if by wearing it all day today the calories burned are correct.

In 12 hours (9am-9pm) it says I burned 1545 calories.
    I did not exercise today.
    It was a typical day (without exercise) Computer time, cleaning house, errands-haircuts/shopping with kids, cooking, girl scout leader tonight.

If I cut 500 calories out of that I would barely be over 1000 which I know is not true. I also know you would continue to burn calories the other 12 hours even with sleep. So how do you know where you should be?

I keep stalling and I have had it at both 1200 calories a day and at 1400 calories a day. Neither of which helped much.

Thanks for any advice!:flowerforyou:

Shelly
  • tudor23
    tudor23 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    hi there--I also use a Polar heart rate monitor, and I'm not convinced that calorie calculation is real accurate. I have a friend who uses a "Body Bug"--not sure how accurate that is either, she's stalling too.

One thing to consider (and this is supposed to be pretty accurate) is having your basal metabolic rate (BRM) calculated. I had it done at my gym--I'm not sure where else one could have it done. The result is a number of calories that your body uses just being alive. Trainers and nutrtionists (I'm neither, just a person who does a lot of research) will tell you that you should never eat less than that amount of calories. My trainer says that a common mistake people (especially women) make is to eat too little, forcing your body into starvation mode. The body then hangs on to extra body fat, and weight loss gets "stalled", as you say.

Like I said, I'm no expert, but it might be worth looking into. Good luck!