so i have a (probably dumb) question

Options
say theres a recipe that calls for 2 slices of bacon, diced and cooked. then it says cook veggies in the bacon grease. would i log the bacon slices, and the grease separately, or just as one thing, since technically the grease came from the bacon?
*blushes and hides face*

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    No need to log the grease in your example.
  • brianblinn
    brianblinn Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    There is never a dumb question when it comes to bacon.....mmm...............bacon.
  • Lisa_222
    Lisa_222 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Log separately, when you eat bacon, it's cooked and the grease is drained, so I don't think it's counted as calories consumed.
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    Log both.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options

Log both

MFP Forums at their finest! :D
  • kerriknox
    kerriknox Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    If there is an option for uncooked bacon - log that since that would include the fat.
  • lov3vh
    lov3vh Posts: 70
    Options
    probably log both... because when you eat a piece of bacon in general its cooked.. so thats the calories its counting.....

both would be your best bet..

:) gl

not a dumb question
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options

Log both

MFP Forums at their finest! :D
    lol i was just thinking that!
    If there is an option for uncooked bacon - log that since that would include the fat.
    oooh i didnt think of that!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    The calorie information on the package of bacon includes the fat content of the bacon. The grease in the pan after you cook the bacon, comes from the bacon fat. This is why you do not need to log it.
  • HMonsterX
    Options
    The calorie information on the package of bacon includes the fat content of the bacon. The grease in the pan after you cook the bacon, comes from the bacon fat. This is why you do not need to log it.

This is my view too btw. It just tickled me that within 8 posts totally contrasting view were posted, confusing the OP even more! Seems to be a very common trend here...
  • PeeTeePee
    PeeTeePee Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    This is my view too btw. It just tickled me that within 8 posts totally contrasting view were posted, confusing the OP even more! Seems to be a very common trend here...

It's what makes the Message Boards such fun. Everyone has their own opinion.
  • rockerbabyy
    Options
    that was my thinking too - but then i read that the calorie info was for cooked product, and that raw bacon is like 125 calories per slice ..*sigh* so confused
  • HMonsterX
    Options

It's what makes the Message Boards such fun. Everyone has their own opinion.

It's fun when it's just opinions on things with no actual factual base. It's irritating when myths keep getting spouted, despite of overwhelming proof to the contrary.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    It just depends on which number you are logging. If you're logging cooked bacon, you would need to also log the calories for the fat. If you're logging raw bacon, you've already done that. By the way the difference is about 100 calories per slice.

I don't think anyone's actually disagreeing here, they're just working with different numbers to start.
  • rockerbabyy
    Options
    i guess ill just log the info i found on raw bacon even tho its generic and my bacon is low sodium..

EDIT: i did actually go up and look at the package and it says "2 pan fried slices" as one serving, so i guess i could have saved myself the trouble by looking in the first place >.>
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    Options
    FYI I log the cooked bacon, measure (guesstimate) the grease and then log it...lots of touble but if you are on a tight cal regimine...better safe than sorry...PS NOT NOT NOT a stupid question.....
  • rockerbabyy
    Options
    FYI I log the cooked bacon, measure (guesstimate) the grease and then log it...lots of touble but if you are on a tight cal regimine...better safe than sorry...PS NOT NOT NOT a stupid question.....

thanks :) ill DEFINITELY do that next time, i just didnt even think about it this morning until after id cooked the mushrooms and onion in the grease