PERIODS

Options
I asked a nurse if you retain water on your period as I never loose much weight when I am on period. She said it was complete rubbish. Your thoughts ?

Replies

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    You need a new nurse.
  • everydaypam
    everydaypam Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    True. I will take extra care to not eat any processed foods and drink extra water during my period and I still notice that it becomes hard to put on and take off my wedding ring. Not to mention the fact that I will gain 2-5 pounds. If that isn't due to retained water then we as women have some serious health issues about once a month.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    lol @ your nurse :)
    You need a new nurse.

agree to ^
  • sunanmoon75
    Options
    You need a new nurse.
    ^^^agreed
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I have recorded as much as a 5 pound weight gain directly related to my period for more than 15 years... Even at my fittest!
  • ncole3
    ncole3 Posts: 164
    Options
    I asked a nurse if you retain water on your period as I never loose much weight when I am on period. She said it was complete rubbish. Your thoughts ?

You really need a new nurse. I have that same issue right before and during my period.
  • mssgirl11
    mssgirl11 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    i think she is rubbish!
  • lovinlife71
    Options
    you definitely retain fluid!!!!!
  • baileybutton
    baileybutton Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I was going to weigh myself at the gym tonight...guess who's NOT doing that anymore? lol
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    the nurse wants sacking if she doesn't know that! maybe she doesn't retain extra water. I used to bloat and go up by 6lbs but sometimes only drop 2 lbs after.. since going gluten free/low carb I don't bloat as much my last monthlies my tummy stayed soft throughout and it s lightest I've ever been at my monthlies.

How much carbs you eat can also affect your water retention in general too and most women get cravings at that time of the month and tend to eat more carbs which adds to the effect!
  • ManderG03
    ManderG03 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    AGREED! I ALWAYS RETAIN FLUID!
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I never really noticed it physically myself but, since checking my numbers weekly for the last year, I've noticed a spike the week before in hydration, body fat and muscle proportion - sadly, I never see a drop in weight the following week!
  • sharonus
    sharonus Posts: 102
    Options
    If you hadn't specified gender, I would have asked you if that was a male nurse! :happy: I always skip logging my weight during my TOM because I know it's going to be higher and I don't want that to depress me.
  • Triathlynne
    Options
    Oh my gosh! SERIOUSLY!? My wine bag turns into a kegger during my TOTM. I skip the scales completely. I did weigh myself once and it was a +8lb gain! Gargggg!!!!!!!! Give me meat n 2 veg anyday please.
  • neenaj33
    neenaj33 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    LOL That nurse is rubberish...I gain between 3 to 5 pounds
  • msjamartin
    Options
    I've always gained/retained. In recent months, I've noticed that I don't lose much during the month before and my weigh in after is usually my biggest drop. I expect that I'm losing real weight all along but I stay even instead of my previous gain.
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    that nurse is a moron!!! I retain more water than the Hoover Dam!!!
  • DisneyMommy
    Options
    Ever since I can remember I gain 3 lbs during TOM. That's how I know it's coming!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Silly nurse!! I weighed myself Monday just to see how much TOM affected my weight and I put on 8 lbs overnight, in a calorie defecit.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options

I know I'm a guy, and as such should not be in this thread.

But, OP, THANK YOU for not calling it bloody TOM! We agreed ages ago not to call it TOM, as it's offensive to all the Toms out there!

At least, i think that was the outcome. Hard to remember much past the Vampire Hankies post.... =/