Desperately need help!

Options
I have completely fallen off the wagon. I need some serious words of wisdom and advice to find the motivation to get going again. My problem area is when I get home from work in the afternoon. That is when I "pig out" and lose my motivation to work out. Any help?

Replies

• iwanttochangemylife
    Options
    Instead of giving in to eating do something to distract you! (Take a walk, trip to the gym, bike ride, etc.)
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    What works for me is to pack my clothes and stop by the gym on my way home. No excuses to not work out and then when I'm home I only want healthy food to fuel my body :) If you don't do a gym, exercise as soon as you get home!
  • linda1243
    linda1243 Posts: 166
    Options
    i read other people's blogs for motivation. I really liked this blog in terms of willpower by hmalin1. I did the steps and listed them out in my blog. Just writing them out helped me to refocus.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/hmalin1/view/recipe-for-a-will-power-pill-for-help-with-the-mental-part-of-the-journey-155978
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Drink water....go for a walk, stay out the kitchen, do some pushups, or some crunches.....do something, anything or maybe grab a healthy snack......but most importantly ask yourself this question......"How badly do you want to do this, how badly do you want to lose weight, how badly do want to be healthy?" Love yourself better to make a good choice!
  • astrand1800
    astrand1800 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have found that eating a protein drink ( either making a shake myself or having a quick atkins protein shake out of the fridge) helps me feel full for a long time. It helps me curb the afternoon junk eating.
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Pre plan your meals for the entire day so you know exactly what you will be having for dinner. If it helps cook it the day before so all you have to do is warm it up. This way when you get home and are starving the right kinds of food are ready and waiting for you.
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    What works for me is to pack my clothes and stop by the gym on my way home. No excuses to not work out and then when I'm home I only want healthy food to fuel my body :) If you don't do a gym, exercise as soon as you get home!

I do exactly this too :)
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I agree with kristiranee, I go to the gym right after work, else I have WAY too many things at home that would distract me from working out. Then once I'm sweaty and have burned all those calories at the gym, I want to make better food choices so I don't feel like I wasted that time!
  • Nikki582
    Nikki582 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    i get home from work hungry and I am ravenous! I can't go for a walk or anything so I tend to either start cooking dinner or I delay snacking for "15 mintutes" and when that 15 minutes is up, I delay for another.. weird, but it works for me.
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    Don't go home until you've gone for a good walk, to the gym, or whatever exercise you do. You can take a bag of workout clothes with you to work and change there, go for a good walk, and then go back to your car and go home.

Is home empty when you get there? For how long? Maybe wait until someone else is there, or invite someone to dinner once or twice a week so that you aren't always going to an empty house, if you live alone.
  • It sounds like you're not eating correctly at work. And if that is the case take some apple slices with you for your snack. And if you are eating like you should then try taking some walking clothes with you and stop by a school track or a local park and walk some before actually going home. That way you won't be tempted to just veg out before working out. Just remember skipping meals hurt you more than you know. I hope I was of some help. It's just really hard to give advice when I don't know for sure how you handle your food intake during the day. I myself found out that the days I skipped a meal I made some really bad choices out of hunger and aggravation at myself.:happy: Keep your head up! There is always some help somewhere.
  • normh545
    normh545 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I've found just using the app on my phone and logging every thing i eat has up to now changed my eating habits big time. in the last 4 weeks i went from a loaf of bread a day to a couple of slices every couple of days, a bag of crisps every day to 2 bags in the last 4 weeks, chips most days to once in 4 weeks. mind you i am getting sick of salads lol
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Let me put it to you this way.....the only way you are going to do this is if you are truly committed! If you want to be thinner and have a healthier life DO IT! I know you can because I have and I am still doing it! I started planning a snack after work before dinner because we don't eat till 7pm most of the time and as I tell people you can NOT mess with A FAT B***CH ON A DIET LMAO!! So plan for a snack and then forget about it after that. Make it a snack that takes time to eat so you will feel satisfied. Sometimes I come write on here and take a bite of my yogurt after each sentence :) Good Luck! Don't Give Up! You know you can do it and everybody stresses about the hunger pain! It does get better and you do get used to it but even I have days still that I can't stop thinking about food.
  • PalmettoparkGuy
    PalmettoparkGuy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I would suggest more snacks at work to prevent hunger induced pigouts after work. Just remember how powerful your mind is.
  • kerry1513
    kerry1513 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your great advice. I know I just need to get in the habit of when I get home from work (Teacher's Assistant) that I need to work out. I'm just so tired when I get home and want to relax for a bit. Tomorrow is another day and I will do better. This is something I want and I am tired of living the way I am. I used to be so healthy and fit and then I let myself go. I do know I don't eat enough at breakfast and that sets a bad tone for the day. Back to the drawing board in regards to what foods will work for me. Thanks again everyone!!!!
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    You might want to try getting up earlier then to exercise, I am up at 6am to get my exercise done. I am mother of 3 sons and a pre-k teacher, so I too have limited time. When my husband is home I will head out in the evening for a walk or jog.