Horrible Weekend!

Options
My husband and I are working on losing weight. He swims, walks, and is on his feet all day as a high school teacher. He lost 20 pounds since June of last year. However, his one weakness is ice cream. He ate 14 servings of chocolate ice cream this past holiday weekend!

He also insisted on taking care of the meals as I worked on the house and ran errands. Unfortunately, meals consisted of chili dogs, Philly cheesesteak sandwiches, and rice bowls from various fast food restaurants. I managed to make a Spinach salad for one of our meals.

I lost 5 pounds since I started my fitness program late November. Today's numbers for me were horrible, but at least I can go to work this week, eat more sensibly, and continue biking. How do I tell my husband that he's not helping either one of us with his food choices? Any advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• ggabald
    ggabald Posts: 14
    Options
    My husband and I are working on losing weight. He swims, walks, and is on his feet all day as a high school teacher. He lost 20 pounds since June of last year. However, his one weakness is ice cream. He ate 14 servings of chocolate ice cream this past holiday weekend!

He also insisted on taking care of the meals as I worked on the house and ran errands. Unfortunately, meals consisted of chili dogs, Philly cheesesteak sandwiches, and rice bowls from various fast food restaurants. I managed to make a Spinach salad for one of our meals.

I lost 5 pounds since I started my fitness program late November. Today's numbers for me were horrible, but at least I can go to work this week, eat more sensibly, and continue biking. How do I tell my husband that he's not helping either one of us with his food choices? Any advice would be appreciated.
  • happenstance82
    Options
    Maybe you could tell him that you could really be successful...with his help/support with meal planning. Ever since I talked to my boyfriend about my goals, he has been really supportive. He cooks me healthy meals that we both enjoy. But he didn't know what he could do to help me UNTIL I told him. Now, he's more than happy too. Try talking to your husband about your goals and what exactly he could do to help you reach them.
    Options
    I agree with happenstance. You should really talk to your husband and since your husband is also trying to lose weight he might be relieved that someone is willing to help him in trying to make the right food choices. When everyone tries to loose weight and they really don't realize their food choices really aren't the best until someone explains that to them, so maybe this is what is going on with your hubby.
  • ggabald
    ggabald Posts: 14
    Options
    Thanks! Talked to him yesterday. Although there's more ice cream in the freezer since my original post, it's been sitting there longer. I haven't had a bite of it, so my willpower is getting stronger. Found out that the ice cream was comfort food for him since he's been having really stressful days with his jobs. But it looks like we're getting back on track now.
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Talked to him yesterday. Although there's more ice cream in the freezer since my original post, it's been sitting there longer. I haven't had a bite of it, so my willpower is getting stronger. Found out that the ice cream was comfort food for him since he's been having really stressful days with his jobs. But it looks like we're getting back on track now.

My hubby loves ice cream too, but I quit buying it. If it is not here, we can't eat it.