Exciting Porridge

Sookie_182
Sookie_182 Posts: 72 Member
Hey so I've decided ta give porridge a go again because it's supposed ta be super healthy and also because I really need ta ween myself off cereals because of the amount of sugar in them!
So I was just wondering if anyone had any tips they could suggest for making the stuff bearable! God knows how many times I have tried eating the stuff and caved after 2 or 3 days and gone back to the sugar packed cereals! So I need something that will keep me full and get me off them cereals because I'm hoping if I do it might make a big difference! :tongue:

Replies

• Angellore
    Angellore Posts: 519 Member
    This week I've been adding a teaspoon of brown sugar, 5g pecans, chopped and 15g raisins to my porridge (oatmeal). It's been lush!

On my internet shop for this weekend I've ordered frozen cherries and almond flavouring. I'm going to try adding those to porridge with some chopped almonds this week.

Also, you can add half a sachet of drinking chocolate to it.
  • i love porridge. here's what i like.

1. cook the porridge with a pinch of salt (trust me, it makes a difference). and use rolled oats, not quick cooking oats. much better for you and they taste great.
    2. porridge with some skim milk and a couple of teaspoons of brown sugar. add some of your favourite nuts if you like.
    3. porridge with honey, blueberries, strawberries, kiwi, raspberries etc. and some nuts.
    4. i also make bircher muesli for breakfast every day. i put enough oats for three or four days in a pot, add water to cover, add some sultanas, cinnamon, nutmeg, some vanilla protein powder (not too much). put it in the fridge overnight (it will last around four days). i have it with natural yogurt and sometimes some walnuts as well. you could use some milk as well as water instead of just water. and add fruit as you wish. it's around 350 calories for a serving with 2/3 of a cup of oats. it's super easy to tansport to work in a tupperware container.

hope this helps!
  • k9hrd
    k9hrd Posts: 351 Member
    Add 2 tablespoon of peanut butter and 1tablespoon of chocolate chips. Awesome!
  • tels
    tels Posts: 3
    Chop a banana or diced apple in the bottom of the bowl, add 1 cup quick cooking oats and water to cover.
    Microwave for @ 3 -4 mins and top with liquid honey.
    I used to add soy milk on top but now prefer to make it runnier and no milk at all...yum.
    Extremely low fat and @ alot of bang for the 350 cals.
  • slimkitty
    slimkitty Posts: 418
    Add 2 tablespoon of peanut butter and 1tablespoon of chocolate chips. Awesome!

Super delicious!
  • Sookie_182
    Sookie_182 Posts: 72 Member
    deadly thanks a mill folks! Hopefully I can nail this on the head and crack the cereal problem!! :tongue:
  • 25g sultanas and lots of cinnamon with mine which is lovely
  • I've been making poached apple to go in my porridge

Just diced up peeled apple, put in a pot with a couple of spoons of water. Under low/med heat, cook until soft. I add no sugar at all and the stuff taste great! Put a big spoon of it in my porridge in the morning, sprinkle with cinnamon, add of small spoon of honey if you need to sweeten it.

I didn't like porridge before as I thought it was quick sickly, until i try cooking it with water instead of milk. Then i add a spoon of milk in after it cooks.
  • vizamy
    vizamy Posts: 60 Member
    I like to put in a handful of frozen berries (or fresh if you have them) towards the end of the cooking time.
  • lottycat
    lottycat Posts: 333 Member
    i love porridge. here's what i like.

1. cook the porridge with a pinch of salt (trust me, it makes a difference). and use rolled oats, not quick cooking oats. much better for you and they taste great.
    2. porridge with some skim milk and a couple of teaspoons of brown sugar. add some of your favourite nuts if you like.
    3. porridge with honey, blueberries, strawberries, kiwi, raspberries etc. and some nuts.
    4. i also make bircher muesli for breakfast every day. i put enough oats for three or four days in a pot, add water to cover, add some sultanas, cinnamon, nutmeg, some vanilla protein powder (not too much). put it in the fridge overnight (it will last around four days). i have it with natural yogurt and sometimes some walnuts as well. you could use some milk as well as water instead of just water. and add fruit as you wish. it's around 350 calories for a serving with 2/3 of a cup of oats. it's super easy to tansport to work in a tupperware container.

hope this helps!

Number 4 sounds amazing, I'll be trying this :)
  • chicky89
    chicky89 Posts: 260 Member
    Try Steel cut oatmeal...

I used to eat the regular oatmeal and cant stand it now.
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    I'm making a large pot right now to eat for the week. It has 3 cups of chopped apples, 2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp nutmeg, 1/4 tsp salt and 2 cups of steel cut oats. Mix with 6 cups of water and cook in the crockpot on low for 6-8 hours. Then I store in individual portions in the fridge. To reheat mix with1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk and microwave until warm. Like eating apple crisp for breakfast.