When is deleting an MFP ok?

Options
Is it ok to delete a "friend" if you never get an encouranging word? And find yourself only giving high fives to them? Help me out on this please

Replies

• getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I think so... But in all honesty that is 100% your call. I know that I have been deleted for not being encouraging enough and have deleted others for not being encouraging enough. It is about what you want to make this journey to be.
  • sarahlucydaynes26
    Options
    I personally delete them if there is no feed back and I input, if they don`t log on at least weekly etc..

I have already deleted 4! x
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Is it ok to delete a "friend" if you never get an encouranging word? And find yourself only giving high fives to them? Help me out on this please

You can delete a friend because it's Wedneday and you've decided that Wednesday is "delete an mpf" day, or because eenie-meenie-miney-moe told you to, or maybe your 8 ball said it was likely. This is your experience, do what you want with it.

Edit: I don't expect a crap ton of back and forth with my mpf's just some, but I will remove them if I don't know them irl and they haven't been on in a month.
  • anewattitude
    anewattitude Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Of course it is! You are on here for support as well.
  • Starleng1
    Starleng1 Posts: 142
    Options
    Bump
  • DKev
    DKev Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I tend to delete them if they've been inactive for a long period of time....or quite honestly if their personality just does not mesh with mine.
  • carloP90X
    carloP90X Posts: 109
    Options
    Surround yourself with people who have similar goals, people who empower you and people who are better than you.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    I not the type that needs a lot of high 5s and I probably dont give that many.
    When I see someone needs encouragement I comment. But Im not going to comment on everything everyone does.

I deleted someone because they posted random quotes several times a day. The were inspiring but I couldnt see everone elses updates. That kinda sucked because they were pretty nice.
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Whenever you want..it's your list.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    the only deletions I've had were those that hit 3 or 4 months of inactivity, 1 month they do still pop back in after but by the time they get to 3 I've not yet had someone "recover"

For those that try to use this like facebook too, depending on what they have to say I may delete too, I don't need to know that you're
    "getting food out to cook dinner"
    cooking dinner
    eating dinner
    walking the dog after dinner

BUt most of the friends I do have use it for simple diet / exercise related comments which is great ;)
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options

If they aren't helping they're hurting. Delete and find someone who needs and gives support. I've not done it yet but I've been ponering making the move to the delete button on two. You have to make the choice. Some poeple have many, many freinds I like to keep the number at about 8.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Really? If you aren't getting any support from them, then are they a "friend"
    Seriously, I dont get why people need to debate this...it is your choice to decide when and when you do not want someone on your list
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I've deleted dozens. I've been here a long time, many peeps come then just fizzle out, so I might purge after a 5 or 6 weeks. Some end up being annoying, or attention seekers or rude, so I just dump them.
  • GouchisGirl
    GouchisGirl Posts: 321 Member
    Options

I think so... there isn't point of having MFP friends if they aren't interacting with you. Just my opinion though. :)
  • lisabstrong
    lisabstrong Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I say whenever you want!
  • sparklesammy
    sparklesammy Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    i think its ok to delete them if you never interact with them...they prob wont notice. also, if they have disappeared.

I went offline for a few months and have just returned. lots of my friends deleted me when i said good bye and that totally ok, becuase we all need a vibrant lively newsfeed, it makes it more fun and more encouraging : )
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I did almost delete one girl 2 weeks ago because she had not logged on for a month. Turns out she had been in a coma for a month after a car accident and had lost 18 pounds. She is restarting her exercise etc. via therapy. OOPs :tongue: glad I didn't delete her.
  • sweetie89207
    Options
    delete who you want! if they arent a friend and helping you lose weight- then kick them to the curb!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i just made a rule for myself today that if you are on the first 3 pages of my friends (meaning you are a recent addition) and you haven't rogged in for more than 10 days, you are gone. i try to keep my friends list under 250 and if you aren't an active participant, then you are taking a spot that could belong to someone else. :)
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I delete anyone who gets offended easily and can't take sarcasm and potty mouth, anyone who messes with one of my friends in a negative way (rude PM's, etc), anyone who posts religious quotes and such, and anyone who hasn't logged in for over a week unless i have developed a relationship of sorts with them.