Question about kettlebell intervals

Options
ItsCasey
ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
I'm doing a kettlebell program designed for fat loss. Basically, it's three 45-minute workouts per week. The first 35 minutes are lifts like Turkish get-ups, C&P, goblet squats, reverse lunges, etc. The last 10 minutes are conditioning. The current phase of the program involves two-handed swing intervals for the conditioning part. Last week, I did 20 seconds on/40 seconds off, averaging 14 to 15 swings per set with a 16 kg bell. This week, the intervals are 30/30, and next week, they're 40/20.

But I'm having a lot more trouble holding on to the bell this time. It's not so much a cardiovascular issue as a grip issue. I have very small hands, and by the end of the 6th round, it's stressing the hell out of my wrists and fingers. I only have one more session of 30 second intervals, so I'll deal with that the best I can. But what would be the better option for handling 40 seconds?

1. Make the rest intervals longer, e.g. 40/30 or 40/40
2. Keep the rest intervals the same but use a 12 kg bell (lighter but also has a significantly smaller handle)

I know I lose some effectiveness either way, but I don't want to just quit after 6 or 7 rounds, and I'd prefer not to put a hole in my wall because I can't hold on. So would I lose more by dropping the weight or taking longer rest periods?

Replies

• JeffGDDG
    JeffGDDG Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    You could maybe try gloves or they have lifting straps that can help your grip. They wrap around your wrist and then you'd wrap them around the bell.
  • findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I would try both of your options and see how your heart rate does, i think which ever one keeps your heart rate going about the same is your best best.