Toning not bulking muscle

Options
Hi everyone! This is my first post. I am wondering on how to Tone my muscles without bulking them up. I have spinal stenosis which is the narrowing of the spinal cord. I have had 2 cortizone shots and have one more to go for my lower back and have 3 to be done for my neck. I have also noticed when I lift weights the pain gets worse the next day. My doctor told me I was to take it easy but I don't know how much easy is? My husband says I should not up the weight anymore so I am not sure what to do. Does anyone have some advice on this?? Thanks a Bunch :)

Replies

• sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    To gain muscle mass (bulk) you must eat a calorie surplus. That is to say, if you need 2000 calories to maintain your weight, eating 2,500 calories will increase your weight and help attribute to gaining muscle mass.

If you are eating less calories than you need to maintain, almost no matter how heavy you lift the weights you will NOT gain mass. This is practically impossible to do at a calorie deficit (which is what you are doing if you set this site to lose weight).

Your muscles can feel bigger or even measure a little bigger after rigorous exercise or lifting heavier weights than normal. This is water retention and will dissipate after time has passed.
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I'll just comment on the bulking up part - the short and simple: you're a girl so you won't bulk up. :)

Definitely listen to the doctor and take it easy. It might be a good idea to find a good personal trainer that can teach you how to properly lift and show you different exercises that don't exacerbate the pain.
  • mrscouture07
    mrscouture07 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like Pilates for toning. Very low impact and you can modify the moves using a pillow, chair or smaller movements until you build up the strength to do the complete exercise. I use Windsor Pilates but any Pilates or Pilates/yoga routine should give you the same flexibility.
  • JoDeeD
    JoDeeD Posts: 391
    Options
    Toning you want to do lots of reps with only a small amount of weight. Bulking you do fewer reps with more weight. My ex-boyfriend was a body builder and that is what he told me at least.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    You need to get with a certified trainer recommended by your doctor. I'm not going to advise anything considering your condition. I'm not qualified or pretend to be.
  • deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Dude you need a trainer to develop an exercise routine with your medical condition. If you take on something on your own, you're really risking it. I'd steer clear of any advice you'd receive for exercising ideas from the internet (including this forum) because nobody can give you an assessment over the internet. There's so many things to consider like your postural deficiencies, inflexibilities, and weaknesses that could prevent you from certain exercises. REALLY consider this!
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Pilates? The only exercise that causes me problems in my lower-back is Pilates. This is even with making adjustments that are supposed to make the exercise more back friendly. Maybe other back problems aren't bothered by it but my lower-back and hip issues sure are. I can so step classes, most other calisthenics, yoga, weight lifting, run, zumba, spin, etc. without any problem at all but not pilates.

I agree that you should get more specifics from your doctor and make an appointment with a trainer or physical therapist who understands your condition and what kinds of exercises you should do and avoid.
  • Peep_chic
    Peep_chic Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    You probably have to ask your doctor more specifics. Ask if its ok bodyweight exercise, how much weight and research what u want to
    do and ask about that. If he cant answer that find someone who will.
    You are not going to bulk if you're not feeding your muscles like a bodybuilder. That just doesnt happen by accident.
  • hsk11270
    Options
    I also have issues with bulking up....it's just my body type. But I will say this...I don't have AS MUCH prob with that now that I have actually lost the weight. So I think losing the weight FIRST with lots of cardio and diet....THEN start with the toning and strength training because the fat layer on top of the muscle adds to the bulky look. Also with your spine condition I would def try to get a certified trainer who really knows what they are doing and can help you and give you routines to do that won't aggrivate your spine.
  • JennyJacobsen
    JennyJacobsen Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone I will talk to my Doctor! I certainly don't want to hurt myself more than I already am. I was told exercise will help me but Not all kind is good for me. I will look into it.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry I didn't fully read your first comment :(

You definitely want to stay away from things that cause you pain. Try bodyweight exercises if they don't hurt you, but yes - talk to your doctor first about what IS and what ISN'T ok for you.

Hope you get well very soon :) and can do lots of 'normal' things!
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    You are going to get 15 million different answers to this. lol.

"toning"...God i hate that word, but i know exactly what you want. :)
    definition.

Definition in the muscles is more about body fat percentage.
    So its more about what you eat, rather than what you do in the gym. But the weights are important, you need them to maintain your muscles, so there is something there to show off (this is toning - showing them off).
    So basically, you want to train and eat to lose fat. not so much weight.

I'd be using just something simple like 3 sets of 10 - 12. and every so often, up the weight, just in small increments. With your little issue you have going there, you'd need to listen your body. I still think increasing the load is important, just take it really easy...you might progress like this:

1st session:3 x 8 @ 20kg
    2nd session: 3 x 8 @ 20kg, 9 on the last.
    3rd session: 8-9-9 @ 20kg
    4th session: 9-9-9 @ 20kg
    5th session: 9-9-10
    6th session: 9-10-10
    7th session: 10-10-10
    8th session you might up the weight...
    so
    3 x 8 @ 22.5kg
    and so on. This will give your body plenty of time to adapt as you progress.

You wont Bulk up. your eating with a deficit in your calories, so it DEFINATELY wont happen!

:)
  • JamesBurkes
    JamesBurkes Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    As a woman you're really not going to bulk up unless you lift very heavy, eat a lot and focus specifically on getting bigger. Building big muscles is exceptionally hard for women because they just don't have the hormones for it.

But given your medical condition I agree that your Doctor or physiotherapist would be best placed on advising you on how to work out.