Heart Rate Monitors

Options
Hey all! I am looking to purchase a heart rate monitor and need some feedback. I don't really want one that has to be strapped around my chest nor am I looking to spend a grip of money (I got a family to support). I was looking at a few at walmart.com, but I want to buy a reliable one that I am not gonna regret purchasing later and having to spend even more money buying a different one. I appreciate all your feedback and recommendations! Thanks!!!

Replies

• rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    the most accurate ones are going to have a chest strap and watch. the one i have is polar ft4..the strap is comfy and most times i forget im wearing it. it was $60 on amazon. i bought a $20 one at sams club last year..no chest strap and its sitting in my closet because it didnt track calories
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Buy one with a chest strap, they are the most accurate. You can hardly feel the chest strap at all. I bought the New Balance N4 and I love it. It does all the things the Polar one does, but cost way less. Buying a HRM was the best investment for my health I ever made. It was definitely worth the money.

Good luck!
  • Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Unfortuantely for you, Reliable = Chest strap. The wrist ones are not very accurate and will end up doing more harm (inaccurate burn calculations) than good.

Invest in a good one the first time or waste the money and end up buying a good one after throwing away the bad.

Most people will recommend the Polar FT4 and FT7 as being the easiest to use with the most comfortable chest straps.
  • LooseWheel
    LooseWheel Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Went through 2 of the $10 cheapies from kmart and they just take pressing a button to get a reading but died real quick. Both of us got the Polar brand ones now, (FT80 and FT7) which does use a chest strap and it gets you way more info than just the reading. Info like cals burnt, max/min and average heart rate bpm, whether you are in 'fitness' or in 'fat burning' mode, what your ideal rate is for fitness maintenance. They are over the $100 mark but lots of good ones on ebay second hand etc. Got ours from the Polar website as they were best prices for new ones and apparently the first to put them on the market (so they say!).

Way more accurate than what the machines and the $10 ones are because they are only giving an estimate for all possible fitness levels and body sizes, where as one with the strap will give you an exact reading individually for you as it starts out by asking if male or female, height and weight. My bike will say i've lost 150 cals from a ride and my watch will say 220 due to knowing what my exact bpm/heart rate is from the start. Plus i have a higher than average heart rate due to blood pressure issues. Healthy/fit heart should be around 60/70 relaxed and mine is 100. Gets right up to 192 bpm during tennis but cardiologist said it's ok to exercise with it this high. Hubby did say it was a little annyoing to stop and press the button each time, the chest strap/watches have it on the screen and it takes a glance during exercise, plus the info is more accurate and not an accross the board average. Hope this helps! Best of luck. I love using mine now and even find out how much cals i can burn doing house chores and mowing! lol. Cheers
  • lvnspoonful
    lvnspoonful Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your feedback and recommendations - looks like chest strap is the way to go. I just want one that's comfortable and not going to be really noticeable under my uniform while I am at work....
  • lvnspoonful
    Options
    Buy one with a chest strap, they are the most accurate. You can hardly feel the chest strap at all. I bought the New Balance N4 and I love it. It does all the things the Polar one does, but cost way less. Buying a HRM was the best investment for my health I ever made. It was definitely worth the money.

Good luck!

I will look into the New Balance N4 - definitely don't have $100 laying around to spend on a Polar....
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your feedback and recommendations - looks like chest strap is the way to go. I just want one that's comfortable and not going to be really noticeable under my uniform while I am at work....
    my chest strap pretty much fits under my bra. the only part that doesnt is the transmitter, but its hardly noticable
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I just bought the Polar FT7 today off of Amazon.com and it was $80 with free shipping.
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I saw your comment that you don't want it visible while at work. Polar's HRMs are extremely comfortable and you won't notice it nor will anyone else. However if you're planning to wear it to track your calories throughout the day...be aware that HRMs aren't intended for that and it likely will not give you a very accurate calorie count. Polar makes one that I think they tout as an all day HRM but its a pricier model.
  • lvnspoonful
    Options
    I saw your comment that you don't want it visible while at work. Polar's HRMs are extremely comfortable and you won't notice it nor will anyone else. However if you're planning to wear it to track your calories throughout the day...be aware that HRMs aren't intended for that and it likely will not give you a very accurate calorie count. Polar makes one that I think they tout as an all day HRM but its a pricier model.

I am good with tracking my calories throughout the day - but I definitely want an accurate count of how many calories I am burning, especially when working out.
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Well, I would echo everyone else...the cheapest Polar you can find is still going to be a good HRM for you 8)
  • lvnspoonful
    Options
    Went through 2 of the $10 cheapies from kmart and they just take pressing a button to get a reading but died real quick. Both of us got the Polar brand ones now, (FT80 and FT7) which does use a chest strap and it gets you way more info than just the reading. Info like cals burnt, max/min and average heart rate bpm, whether you are in 'fitness' or in 'fat burning' mode, what your ideal rate is for fitness maintenance. They are over the $100 mark but lots of good ones on ebay second hand etc. Got ours from the Polar website as they were best prices for new ones and apparently the first to put them on the market (so they say!).

Way more accurate than what the machines and the $10 ones are because they are only giving an estimate for all possible fitness levels and body sizes, where as one with the strap will give you an exact reading individually for you as it starts out by asking if male or female, height and weight. My bike will say i've lost 150 cals from a ride and my watch will say 220 due to knowing what my exact bpm/heart rate is from the start. Plus i have a higher than average heart rate due to blood pressure issues. Healthy/fit heart should be around 60/70 relaxed and mine is 100. Gets right up to 192 bpm during tennis but cardiologist said it's ok to exercise with it this high. Hubby did say it was a little annyoing to stop and press the button each time, the chest strap/watches have it on the screen and it takes a glance during exercise, plus the info is more accurate and not an accross the board average. Hope this helps! Best of luck. I love using mine now and even find out how much cals i can burn doing house chores and mowing! lol. Cheers

Yeah I work out on the eliptical and stair stepper alot but never know for sure how many calories I actually burned, the machine says one thing MFP says another.....I just want to get an accurate count so I can start losing some weight!!!!!
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I got my New Balance one for $55 on Amazon, and it works great. I know people like to push the Polar ones on here, but I couldn't see spending that much when I can get a comparable one for less. Do research first, and decide which one works for you.
  • lvnspoonful
    Options
    I got my New Balance one for $55 on Amazon, and it works great. I know people like to push the Polar ones on here, but I couldn't see spending that much when I can get a comparable one for less. Do research first, and decide which one works for you.

I appreciate it! I looked at a couple on Amazon - we will see what I decide on. Definitely going to do some research first so I can get the right one the first time!
  • Reytor
    Reytor Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I also bought the FT7 last week. It was an upgrade from another Polar I had. Very happy with it so far.
  • Dapete
    Dapete Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am glad that I happened on this thread. A friend and I were talking about heart rat monitors today and I was wondering what to get. Thanks everyone.
    9424723.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • rsullivan
    rsullivan Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I got a Sportline HRM from Walmart for $47. It has the chest strap or you can use it without. I dont notice the chest strap at all while exercising. It's easy to use and the price was right for me.
  • lvnspoonful
    Options
    I finally bought a heart rate monitor yesterday from Amazon - it was $71 with free shipping - Polar FT7 - I can't wait to get it and start using it. Thank you to everyone for the advice and recommendations!!!