Raw vegetables tough on your stomach?

Options
Do you happen to experience the issue of raw veggies doing a number on your stomach? As in really tough to digest and resulting stomach pain? I've been experimenting with this for years, but some veggies I simply don't eat very well raw: broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage and carrots. Anyone else? That doesn't mean I remove raw veggies from my diet, but I have noticed an increase in pain with cruciferous vegetables.

Replies

• Thaea
    Thaea Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    No, but if they do bother your stomach, take some enzymes with them. You can pick them up at Whole Foods or whatever. High protein and certain other foods kill my stomach, and enzymes fix the problem 100%.
  • evansproudmama
    Options
    Recently I tryed to eat raw squash and it was NOT pretty for some reason i never had the problem when I eat it cooked but the raw messed with me lets just say i spent my satuday in the bathroom :-( Nothing else seems to bother me, i do get gas but after a few days of eating them that goes away also
  • choconuts
    choconuts Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Broccoli and Cauliflower give me bad gas when eaten raw.
  • jillinthbox
    jillinthbox Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I definitely have this issue. Carrots, cucumbers, apples. Its awful. I have somewhat solved the issue by peeling things with skin (just too much fiber for my stomach to handle) and by eating this things in moderation.

I have tried supplements, a GI doctor, prescription medication -- everything. PAINFUL still. I just know what I can eat and make sure when I want something I know is a challenge, I only eat a little.
  • BeeOlive
    BeeOlive Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Fruit does that to my tummy. I still havent figured out a solution, other than not eating any on an empty stomach. But then again, that wouldnt really help with an all vegan/raw diet.
  • StormyLlewellyn
    Options
    There are magor issues that come up when you change your eating habits.. Your body needs a slower introduction to some foods then others... When you go from mostly processed foods to raw and whole foods you body is bound to have issues.. I would relaly recommend going in the whole foods and raw veggies with moderation at first. I grew up on Fast foods and lots of processed foods, When I first started on this journey, I had the same issues. Now I have issues with too much fats & sugars.. In the long run you will thank yourself for doing this...