home cooked meals are hard to log :(

Options
2»

Replies

• caroldot
    caroldot Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Use the recipe builder. For those meals that I cook on a regular basis (like alot of crockpot recipes). I enter all the ingredients which is not a problem becuase most everything is already in the system and then create my own. But I don't share on the community recipe tracker since its my own personal I don't feel the need. So it just saves under my personal recipes and then its there to add whenever I need it.
  • Michele7091
    Michele7091 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Subscribing.

I'm curious to read suggestions.

I currently input all ingredients into the recipe builder, and divide by how many portions.

I do the same. And then you only have to scan/enter everything once because the next time you make it, its already saved in there. Soup is a pain for me because I have to count the number of ladles (or cups) to determine the serving size but once I make it one time I don't have to worry about it anymore.
  • AFabulous50
    AFabulous50 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Over the years, I've collected a lot of recipes. Many of them are from my mom or from older cookbooks (before the days when nutritional info was included.) I use a web site called Spark Recipes. It has a recipe calculator that's easy to use. Then I add the info to "My Foods" on mfp and never have to bother with it again.
  • latysh
    latysh Posts: 29
    Options
    So anyone knows if i should add RAW serving sizes or cooked please help!!!
  • greeneyes191
    greeneyes191 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I sometimes use the recipe builder for my whole dinner plate. For example, I had a chicken breast, med sweet potato and 2/3 cup of corn for dinner. I entered it as a recipe and it was then easy to just add to my food diary. Then if I have the same meal again I don't have to try and figure out what each item is individually. Can you tell I'm a creature of habit??
  • nakmom
    nakmom Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/recipe_analysis.php
    Use this website...it is much easier :)

That is awesome! Thank you!
  • oKathryno
    Options
    Bump
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    So anyone knows if i should add RAW serving sizes or cooked please help!!!
    i would use the raw serving sizes - 4 oz of coooked is more than 4 oz raw, and since you arent adding cooked meat to the meatloaf the calories wouldnt be the same if you used the cooked portion size.